For all of you complaining about the iPod's price

We have an iPaq at work with the large HD (we used an IBM 1GB microdrive which was about $600 when we bought it last Summer) and an 802.11b card. The problem is that you need a double pcmcia adapter sleeve which only cost about $230.

It is really expensive to push the envelope even a bit when you are in a small form factor. I'm really impressed that Apple is able to offer the iPaq for $400 - if you told me the specs I would have guessed $600 knowing current parts costs (in thousand unit lots) and recognizing a need for a bit of profit.

Apple is not selling an iPaq :p
Its selling just an MP3 player called the iPod ;)
The PCMCIA card was just an example of how much 5GB costs ;)

Yeah -- I'm just pointing out how expensive smallish things are that haven't ramped on the production curve. The iPaq is pretty useless as a linux box as is, but you don't see many people complaining at the $$ it takes to make it so.

I actually touched an iPod yesterday and was so impressed that I ordered one as soon as I got home. It is a stunning piece of engineering and design.

Did you see it at an apple store ? ;)

I still dont see a need for an MP3 player... its just me lol :p

Admiral

they were just demoed -- no sales until around 11/10 they said.

The specs or pictures of the iPod don't do it justice. People were getting broad grins on their faces just using it. This will be something that causes considerable envy if you let someone else play with it.

I won't call it ground-breaking, but it is the first portable music player that induced real lust in me (and most of the other people in the store).

Judging by the reactions of people in the store I would say that Apple is going to sell quite a few - at least to the "faithful"

I can't wait for 11/10.

Back