For all web deisgner and developer.

designer

Registered
Hi all,

I am sure every web designer and developer know how good coldfusion is.

However, it is bitter reality that Macromedia will not release Coldfusion server for OS X anytime soon.

Don't get so depress.

Finally, solution has been come out.. I was waiting for this for long time.

Installing coldfusion server onto OS X.

Follow here

So, the binaries will run under OS X with some major noodling them out of the Linux installation...

Which begs the question...

If the binaries are OS X compatible, and all Macromedia had to do to make Coldfusion OS X native was provide an installation process, why did they neglect to do so?

I wish John Dowell (from MM Mac support) surfed here. I'd sure like an answer...

Yeah... it's like they intentionally hobbled it's compatibility... perhaps now that this is public, Macromedia will work to get a Mac product out. Why turn down money?

I totally agree with you.

Macromedia is always dose that after they made a some relationship with M$.

I bet someone will come up with some installer for OS X.

There is too many opportunities for OS X.

:)

I am a cf developer of 6 years. I was recently at a cfug meeting with Ben Forta at a meeting in NYC. He explained the possibility of CF on OSX server simply. He said that when it was "commercially viable", Macromidia would consider it. I am as much of a fan of macosx as the next guy, but how many companies are going to run it on a osx server? The biggest problem is the DB compatibility. Our only native option is mysql. Many companies shy away from open source product because of (assumed) lack of support. In the end, CF on osx holds little advantage over cf on windows or even linux for that matter. Unfortunatly, I do not see an osx port any time soon.

Hi teamteama,

You made a really good point about enterprise solution problem with Apple product.

I am not a Unix person or computer guru. I am a web designer who has to deal with database(every kind of DB) and CF everyday ( I am usring PC at work :( and Mac at home :) ).

But I don't think solving database problem is big deal because OS X is based on unix. If OS X has problem to communicate with database, I don't think big company willing to pay good amount of money for Unix server.

The only problem is the Apple, if they can come out with THE ENTERPRISE PACKAGE.

I hope that X server will do the trick.

P.S. I thought ORACLE is doing something for X server

I remember reading on macromedia's site that they were looking for people who had successfully installed CF MX on OSX.... This was when MX was still in beta... They're probably planning one.

As for database support, that really isn't much of an issue. How many CF developers actually run their database on the same physical box as the CF server?

One of the main benefits of CF is that it provides an abstraction layer and can talk to most any database. We use MSSQL 2000 on a seperate box. It doesn't care what OS CF is running on.

Cold fussion is old outdated crap. PHP / MYSQL kicks it's ass any day, place and time! sorry CF had it's moment um about 4-5 years ago. Even IF macromedia brought it to the mac I don't know many web developers that would bother with it. BTW I'm a web developer based in NYC and know many others in NYC only one uses CF and um well they kinda suck.

CF is crap... It is proprietary, and yes it is outdated.

The internet world is moving more and more to standards, and open source. You would be wise to make the move now, while MM is forcing you to.

Once things like CF, and ASP are out of the way, it will only make things so much better for developers. (Note: I say this, while I too still use crap... I still use ASP for most things. But, I have seen the light, and well it doesn't come from either Microsoft or Macromedia.)

Jeez. Grow up. I'm sure everyone else is as sick as I am of people turning every bloody piece of software into an object of religious significance and then calling a crusade against the infidels who use a competing platform.

It's a tool. It's an extremely good tool, as is PHP. I use them both.

For the multi billion dollar corporation I work for, though, it's ColdFusion and Websphere.

For my personal sites, and the clients for my own small company, I use mostly PHP.

They both work. I like PHP better, but ColdFusion is a helluva lot faster to develop in unless you're trying to do something really complex, in which case websphere is a better solution than either CF *OR* PHP.

And which NYC is that with the supposed dearth of CF developers? New York City? I beg to differ. You obviously don't hang around in the enterprise market.

"my friends have all got long hair and only one got short hair and he sucks."

(dry laughter.)

I also work in a ColdFusion / MS-SQL based company and would like to see CF Server for OS X. Windows servers are a joke, I'd like to see CF on a stable platform.

Anyone who pays attention knows that Macromedia has pretty much rewritten ColdFusion. PHP may be better still, but a lot of people use ColdFusion, and that is probably never going to change. The company where I work has built a web-deployed content management solution on ColdFusion that has years of development history. They're not going to rewrite all that code in PHP just because it's "better."

Hi all,

I agree with lionsweb and Kazrog.

I just wanted to say that Web designer and Web developer on Mac can have same options that PC has.

Yes, I am also using PHP and Mysql, however, I also want to use CF on Mac OS X.

Sure, Mac can do everything PC can do and do better. However, people(clients) just want to see more options.

I am only Mac person at work. They think Mac is JOKE in terms of web develop. Worst is that 2 designers switched from Mac to PC because they didn't see reason to keep Mac.

Since I am desginer and developer, I can see what Mac can do. So I will keep my Mac.

Back