For Cooler MacBooks(Pros), Try This

.....and it looks like it works quite well, judging from user feedback: http://macupdate.com/info.php/id/23049.
Hmmmm, I might be moving up to a MacBook or Pro sooner than I had thought; the heat issue was the main factor keeping me away. If this app works as well as it seems to, I just wonder why Apple engineers haven't come up with something like it.

Laptop cooling platforms are always a good idea, even for pre MacBook notebooks. I've always used one with my Powerbook; I've never used my Powerbook for an extended period without one....and I've never had a hot running 'book, even in unairconditioned places in hot climate.
The simplest design, but one that I've found works quite well for me, is the Podium CoolPad by RoadTools: http://www.roadtools.com/.
If you're after a cooling platform with integral cooling fans then go for one that's made of aluminum, rather than plastic, for superior heat transfer.
If the smcFanControl, combined with a competent cooling platform solves the heat issues in MacBooks, and especially so in hot climates, than a MacBookPro will likely come into my life sooner than I had anticipated. I travel to South America frequently and a cool running laptop is essential in those climes.
But using most any notebook without a cooling platform just doesn't make sense. One is just asking for problems from heat related issues.

Of course, at this time of the year, the heat emissions from the MacBook Pros is a plus to many in northern regions.. :)

Also keep in mind that adjusting the minimum fan speed will affect battery life, of course.

I don't suppose that this could have any adverse effects, by taking the ability to increase fan speed away from the system? Or can the system still change the speed?

It should - in theory - only affect the _minimum_ fan speed, i.e. if the system wants to turn the fan _higher_, it should still be able to. If you set the min. speed to, say, 2600, then the system of course can't set the speed to 1800 or 1500. But the system can still adjust it to 2900 or 3200. The minimum speed on my MacBook is 1500, it seems. I've set it to 4287 right now. In order to see if it bothers me that way.

Back