For superdrive owners

That update doesn't increase the speed of the drive, it allows the drive to work woth DVD-Rs aimed for 4x recording. Right now the superdrive is designed to work with 2x DVD-R media, but as stated, any Mac with a super drive built after a certain date, I think November 2002 are already updated.

Apparently, all the 17" iMacs are also using the updated firmware. At least, that's what it looks like. If someone knows differently, please let me know.

Doug

Nope. Firmware updates have been modifying hardware in similar ways for ages. I had a 33.6 USR modem and made it a 56k through a Firmware update many years ago.

well as jb said, it's not the speed that's changing, it's the format that can be handled, or thereabouts. in my younger days, I would've projected as to how it may be possible for software to make up where hardware leaves off, but for now I'll just let it go. If anyone cares join in, great. If not, Q.E.D.

Well, dave17lax, Kendall is right: Software upgrades made my 28.8 modem a 33.6 and then a 56k modem. Or did I get you wrong here?

Back