Forbes slams iPod earphones

monktus

Registered
The iPod earbud headphones have come under fire for producing "music that's damp and unclear".

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/040227/101/en4x2.html

Seems a bit strange. I always rated the iPod headphones pretty highly, they're made by Sennheisser after all and IIRC have a suprisingly good range. In fact I just checked Apple's specs and they go down to 20 Hz.

I find them okay, although I've never really used any headphones that came with a portable music player, be it my first walkman, my MD-walkmen or the iPod. If you care about music quality, you buy the headphones you really like and keep them even when you upgrade your music player.

And: If you follow the links to Forbes' article, you might see that they say what I just said. :) It's not really a 'bashing' article.

I saw a news article yesterday that said the headphones were "too distinctive" and that they were attracting muggings because they signal to thieves that the person in the white headphones is attached to a $450 iPod. Kind of reminds me of the old Michael Jordan sneaks in the mid 80's when people were getting shot over them.

Quite a silly world we live in, eh? :(

i find the Sony Fontopia earphones (the one with the in-earbub, like the new apple ones) to be the best earphones :)

I'm satisfied with the iPod's headphones enough to not be able to justify spending more than $20 on a new pair, so I guess that's somethin'.

If i can find a couple of white ones that are better and below 20€ i am willing to buy them. The only problem i am having with the bundled ones is that they wont stick to my ears in hard wind :)

fryke said:
And: If you follow the links to Forbes' article, you might see that they say what I just said. :) It's not really a 'bashing' article.
It's hardly positive, though, is it? :confused:

"The headphones that come with it offer a dismal fit, tend to blow out and, say audio experts, don't match the high-performance capabilities of the player," reports Forbes.

Don't believe what any article says, try it yourself and then believe your ears. :)

I like the ipod headphones. I used sonys for years, but they broke. Now the ipod ones...

I have hard time finding headphones that fit. Most of them fall away from my ears. Must be awkwardly shaped, maybe my ogre-genes .. ipod headphones fit. The sound is satisfactory. If I really want to enjoy the music, I don't listen to it outside at all - where I cant control the background noises such as cars, trains, people chatting. Well - seen nice headphones that promise to cancel all background noise, but I would be too scared to use them. If you can't even hear when someone wanting to steal your player or just the phones is approaching you, it's probably not worth it...

If the article is referring to the earbuds, I have to agree.
I actually bought a pair, believing they would be better than the stock headphones that come with the iPod. HUGE mistake. The things do not sit well in the ear (atleast, MY ear) which cause horrible, tinny sound and no bass at all (and yes, I do know how to insert them..)

I've gone back to using the regular headphones that came with the iPod.

i have those sony earbud headphones with the complecated name (as mentioned above) and find them amazing... i'd been using them with my md player for quite a while before buying my ipod and didn't even try the apple headphones that came with it... i guess i'm sort of spoiled now, all headphones that aren't in-ear sound quite dull to me- so do the apple ones. also, i'm not the biggest fan of the white headhones anyway, they look like "hi, look at me, i have an ipod and am thus better than you" or at least thats how they've been making me feel ;)

Back