Formatted hard drive, now won't show up for install...help!

chuckiii

Registered
Thank God I didn't do this to my current computer that I use...

Anyways, I have an old G5 I'm getting ready to sell so I wanted to format the hard drive. I went to disk utility, went through the process of erasing the disk, and then I did the thing that writes zeros over everything on your hard drive for just a fully clean formatting...

Moving on now to install Leopard (I tried Tiger too), when I get to "Select Destination to install Mac OS X", my hard drive won't show up at all. When I go to disk utility or startup disk, it only shows the Leopard disc that's in the computer at the moment. Doesn't show Mac HD or the volume or anything whatesoever... did I do something terribly wrong??

I feel like at this point only something can be done from the Terminal, but I don't know what... anybody? Or any links to other threads/forums that have answered this somehow? Did I totally screw up the hard drive??

Sorry if this has been answered but I couldn't find this specific problem anywhere else. Everything I found people could still at least click on their HD in the disk util...

Try running Disc Utility from either the Leopard Install Disc or the Tiger one, and partition the internal HD as Mac OS Extended (Journaled), then you should be good.

I already have opened Disk Utility from the install discs and the Internal HD just doesn't show up whatsoever in the list. only the DVD-ROM and disc that is inside. i dont have the option to even tinker with the internal HD

If you erase while booted from the installer, then proceed to install, the installer won't let you install onto a freshly erased disk. So either restart from the installer disk again, then install (without using disk utility) or just hit the back button in the installer until you're back to the beginning, then proceed forward and you should be able to install on the drive.

it appears as though i really just fried the hard drive somehow. i bought an external HD case, plugged the internal HD into it, and it will not mount/show up on any other computers. seems like i might have just messed with it too much some how i guess...

none of the suggestions on here or other forums ive found so far have worked. the HD simply will not show up anywhere. disk utility, external hd case, anywhere...

Back