formatting a HD for WinXP

zoranb

Registered
Can anyone tell me whats the difference between extended and extended journaled when formatting a HD?

I also want to note that the use of the HD will be also in a PC (WindowsXP) through MACDrive5.

I don't know about MACDrive, but in DiskUtility, you need to choose MS-DOS Filesystem as the format, and under options, choose the PC partition scheme. That will format a disk that is readable by Windows.

Thanx for the reply but u dont have to format msdos to see a hd in the pc...u can have an HFS file system and with the use of MacDrive u are able to read all HFS formatted drives on WindowsXP.
Anyway my question was not this from the beggining...all i aslked was whats the difference between the 2 formats provided the simple HFS exteneded and the HFS extended journaled.
anyone else?

Your original question, based on the title was formatting a HD for Windows XP. Hence the response you got.

To your question of HFS+ vs HFS+ journaled, journalling was added in Panther and later versions of OS X. With journalling, the file system becomes more robust towards crashes, because the file system keeps track of changes made to the file, called journals. If a crash occurs, the damage can be repaired by replaying the journals to get the file system back to the original undamaged state.

Mac OS 8.1 and later supports a volume format named Mac OS Extended format (HFS+). The hard disk format supported by Mac OS 8.0 and earlier is now referred to as the Mac OS Standard format. Mac OS Extended format optimizes the storage capacity of large hard disks by decreasing the minimum size of a single file. As an example, on a 4 GB hard drive a file containing only 4K of information requires 64K of space in Mac OS Standard format, whereas with the Mac OS Extended format, it will require the actual 4K on the 4 GB hard disk

What is Mac OS Extended format? (HFS+)
Mac OS Extended format is a hard disk format that increases the number of allocation blocks on the disk. This format also allows more than 65,000 files on the hard disk. Mac OS Extended format optimizes the storage capacity of large hard disks by decreasing the minimum size of a single file.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=30344

So, I'd guess in your case you'd probably want HFS + (extended) without journaling. That'd minimize any compatibility problems, though there are likely none.

However, I don't know much about MacDrive 5. Keep that in mind.

Doug

Back