Forthcoming Imac Pro Versus In Development Macpro

amcliz

Registered
Hi there....

I'm a seasoned MacPro user... never actually had an iMac before as I just really felt it didn't suit my needs, not powerful or upgradeable enough for my needs.... but the world has changed and so has the limits of my uses for a computer. I'm an old school graphic designer from the prehistoric print days... so I use Quark Xpress 2017, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Lightroom, Parallels, Suitcase Fusion as my Core apps for my day to day... then for my hobby activities and free time I use Final Cut Pro X, Adobe Premiere and Adobe After Effects only for editing home video essentially in 1080p... maybe possibly the new iPhone X 4K @ 60fps footage.... but that would be it really. I'm not a video editing expert and never really will be. I do a lot of brochure design work, annual reports and a lot of signage, large format... but my MacPro 2010 12 Core with 64GB is pretty much able to handle anything I throw at it... actually when I visit my signage suppliers they even struggle to open and process my file sizes as their standard iMacs all have about 8-16GB Ram and just aren't fully spec'd up like my MacPro... but.... the imminent arrival of the new iMac pro changes all that... I had been anxiously waiting for the new MacPro... and the announcement that it would be 2018 was amazing.... but then this new iMac Pro got sneak previewed and I said to myself... this machine actually delivers on all my needs and more.

I would love to wait for the new MacPro... but I will need a new 5K screen with that... my last MacPro cost €9,000 Euros for the box only... 512GB SSD and I used Crucial Memory to top up over the years to a new current 64GB. The new MacPro I reckon is going to cost me a hell of a lot more than that... I always go for the maxed out specs... just the way I have always been and my machines have lasted me and my family a long time (still using a MacPro Dual Core). I reckon new MacPro could be in the €13,000 Euros range.

Starting at $4,999... not sure of the equivalent in Euros... I reckon a spec'd out iMac could be all I need.

What would you suggest.... I recently purchased a new MacBook Pro with Touch Bar, full spec.. as far as I could push it and I love all the modern features and the modern connectivity I/O..... not sure if I can wait until the end of 2018 or start of 2019 for a new MacPro.... do you think for my needs the new iMac Pro can more than deliver ? I love the idea of a super computer and 5K screen all in one... with 128GB Ram... possibly 18 cores... depending on price.

I'm 50 years old next year and I would hope this next purchase would last me another 7 - 10 years just like my last MacPro 12 Core so loyaly has.

is the new MacPro going to be really targeted at the hardcore 4K content creator or VR or AR creator using insane 3D computing power, stuff I will never be involved with or have expertise in.

Any comments suggestions most welcome.

IMHO: If what you currently have serves you well--stick with it until it does not. If you feel you need more and better, upgrade ASAP. The future is totally unknown and any specs would be purely speculation.

To have the latest bells and whistles...the dream of most of us. But...(always a but) the price tag stops many of us.

Don’t try to fix what is not broken. If your present machine is doing well, why replace it?

IMHO: If what you currently have serves you well--stick with it until it does not. If you feel you need more and better, upgrade ASAP. The future is totally unknown and any specs would be purely speculation.
Thanks for your comments SGilbert.... I suppose really, with the exception of this my current MacPro machine I have always upgraded my systems to the next greatest thing every 3-4 years or so... but with the MacPro updates being so slow I held off with this model.. and held off and off... but now with the prospect of a new iMac Pro or even MacPro in the offering I'm itching to jump all over a new machine... just to get that fresh injection of tech adrenalin going inside my veins again... a fresh push to move forward with my design etc.... so I totally hear you on the practical side, but I'm just looking for a little more from my machine and I'm worried if I wait another 1 year or more for the MacPro, the iMac Pro might still be the best for my work needs. I will have to think long and hard after the new iMac Pro get released and listen to all the YouTube reviews etc.

I have always bought the top spec'd version of everything.... I don't really understand the Multiple Cores issues... I just thought the more powerful the computing power the longer the machine will deliver on my needs and the performance will be the best I can get. I have visited many Apple Stores looking for this type of information but the sales people really don't have a clue. I would love to chat with someone like yourself, a real world user to understand about the Cores issue when the iMac Pro gets released... to see which configuration would suit my current and future needs best.

To have the latest bells and whistles...the dream of most of us. But...(always a but) the price tag stops many of us.

Don’t try to fix what is not broken. If your present machine is doing well, why replace it?
Hi again Cheryl.... you are always so good to reply to my posts... I don't mean to sound like a spoilt Apple Fan Boy.... but I have been very fortunate in my career to be able to purchase the very best that Apple has had to offer and I have linked that ability to the fact that my work has always been well received and because of the computer power I have been so fortunate to be able to purchase I have linked the both... the better the machine I purchase the better the freedom I feel to create whatever I want without the limitations for the RAM or the Video Card or other factors. That is why I have possibly sometimes over spent on computer power that may have been under utlilised.... but my machines have never given me any trouble and like my current "going on" 8 years old MacPro.... is still a work horse for my needs... even my old MacPro Dual Core is still in operation... that must be about 12 years of.... so I don't mind spending a lot up front as they do last me a long time and compared to other business overheads... €10,000 for a computer is small change compared to high rents, staffing costs etc... I'm just one guy, that works 6 days a week and I need to depend on the best computer power I can afford!! :)

My budget really will be €10,000 EUROS tops... and what I love about the iMac Pro is that it comes with a 5K monitor... as my current 2 year old Apple LED Cinema Display is glitching out on my... blackouts a few times a day which is driving me crazy.... a new MacPro with a new 5K monitor is going to have a hefty price tag for sure. My gut says iMacPro will be a huge step up for me and waiting for the new MacPro could be just a waste of time as that will be even more expensive. But hard to know the future as they say.

Thanks again Cheryl and your comments and contributions as always welcome.

Then I say: If you can afford it---go for it! Be sure to give us your assessments.
Not sure about affordability yet until I see the prices in black and white... but I get a family discount from Apple also as I have a family member working there... so that coupled with the 23% VAT I can claim back is an overall saving of 40%, so makes things like spec's out machines more manageable.

If I went with a 10 Core, 4TB SSD with 128Gb RAM... would that meet my current and future needs... or would I need to go the whole 18 Core Hog!! :)

My teenage daughter is an Adobe After Effects Super Freak... so maybe Multiple Cores would work well for her hobby tasks... :)

Back