Fortran on OS X

MartinHa

Registered
Hi,
I am desperate to get a fortran, c and GLUT combination up and working under OS X.
Is there anyone out there that has compiled g77 under the gcc provided on the developer cd? Is it even possible? Absoft is not releasing their compiler until the offical release of OS X, I've heard.

Martin Hallberg

You might try hopping over to the MacNN forums (fora?) and posting your question to the OS X Developer section.

How many people use Fortran today ?
I know is a good programming language for heavy maths,
but is it very popular ??

It is used extensively by people who do heavy math. It is my experience that Fortran is generally used by those (like me) in the scientific community.

AdmiralAK asked
How many people use Fortran today ? I know is a good programming language for heavy maths, but is it very popular ??

and ecbrown replied
It is used extensively by people who do heavy math. It is my experience that Fortran is generally used by those (like me) in the scientific community.

Another very good reason is that as other languages have been born, grown up, and died, Fortran has kept chugging along, adding new features with each new version without deleting the old ones. For those of us that use heavily programs that date as far back as the 1960s--programs that have kept evolving and have become so complex that rewrites into whatever happens at any given time to be the most prevalent programming language would involve large amounts of time better spent on the research or creative work for which the programs were written--Fortran allows us to augment the programs with the least amount of time wasted. Certainly many--probably most--of them might run more efficiently were they to be rewritten, for example, in C; but frankly, most of simply don't have the time for that.

Another very good reason is that as other languages have been born, grown up, and died, Fortran has kept chugging along, adding new features with each new version without deleting the old ones. For those of us that use heavily programs that date as far back as the 1960s--programs that have kept evolving and have become so complex that rewrites into whatever happens at any given time to be the most prevalent programming language would involve large amounts of time better spent on the research or creative work for which the programs were written--Fortran allows us to augment the programs with the least amount of time wasted. Certainly many--probably most--of them might run more efficiently were they to be rewritten, for example, in C; but frankly, most of simply don't have the time for that.
[/B][/QUOTE]

Fortran is usually faster for numerical problems, provided that the compiler is efficient - IBM xlf for rs6k rings a bell, g77 (in general) for ix86 does not... I/O, memory managment, etc. are MUCH better in C.

Back