Foxtrot Cartoon (that might need explaining)

I did like that comic, and I cut it out of the paper when my eyes came across it. But being a windows user (turned Mac user) and having little experience with UNIX or Linux, I have absolutely no idea what that means--could someone humble me by explaining it to me in crayon? Thanks.

if you open terminal, and type:
man chmod

you will get to see the user manual page about this command. From that page:

"The chmod utility modifies the file mode bits of the listed files as
specified by the mode operand."

In english, this means that chmod changes the permissions of a file or set of files. On Linux/Unix systems, there are various sorts of users, groups of users, and various sorts of files. When you chmod a file, you change the permission levels for that file. The persmissions are laid out in 3 sections - 1) owner, 2) group, 3) everyone. So....

chmod 700 * changes the permissions of every file in the current directory (namely his underpants) to allow full read/write access to the owner, and no access at all to anyone else.

chmod 777 * would allow full access to everyone - the owner, members of the group, and any other user ever on the machine.

chmod 755 * would allow full read/write access to the owner, but only read access to everyone else....

For more info on this (or any other terminal command you run across on these forums) just type man [command name] in your terminal in OS X.

Hope this helps.

-quangdog

LMAO!!!

as far as unix cartoons go, thats pretty good!

(nitpick)
btw, chmod 755 lets the owner read, write, and execute the file. All other users can only read *and* execute.
(/nitpick)

Yes, this one is getting printed!

I rarely catch FoxTrot. Can you give us a link to the cartoon (they're always funnier when you read them yourself)?

Back