Free Design + New Gallery!

I'm not upset either ( :p ) but I had a really bad past experiance with creating my own work and then people actually kicking my arse because they thought I stole it.

Anywho...

arse kicking is never a good thing!

anyways its almost impossible to be TOTALLY original so that happens :eek:

It's ok...I was reading a interesting article over at DIK which mentioned websites that look exactly the same, and legally...there's nothing wrong with that! Of course clients may have a problem but actual website layouts+small images within cannot be copyrighted. :)

Being able to steal design (and that's what I call it) doesn't make it right, I guess is my approach. I've always understood there to be an unspoken (though occasionally spoken :)) law between web and graphic designers that you don't blatantly rip off other artists and creative professionals. I've made original designs in the past and later found them to resemble other sites, and I've reluctantly modified my design. It didn't matter that I had come up with the idea myself, because the other one existed first. Maybe other people don't care about stuff like that, but I think it's important to not take unique 'layouts and small images' and use them in my design. Lately I've been keeping designs really simple, so I guess you couldn't claim that my current website resembles anything but boringness, haha. I've just found that few people are actually capable of good unique web design, and everyone else just follows their examples, making them trends. I'm not sure which category I fall into yet. Just my two cents.

Originally posted by Trip
It's ok...I was reading a interesting article over at DIK which mentioned websites that look exactly the same, and legally...there's nothing wrong with that! Of course clients may have a problem but actual website layouts+small images within cannot be copyrighted. :)

I read that about a month ago. I think he is saying that using a popular style is OK. not ripping off a design.

I guess that's what identifies good designers from bad designers. Is their uniqueness (sp?) and their ability to create from their mind and not from their memory.

Maybe someday I'll be one of the good. :)

Back