Free DVD (non-commercial) -> mpeg

npj

Registered
Hi All,

I want to convert video from a home made DVD (burnt on a Sony DVD burner) into mpeg video files. I think I remember seeing a program a while back that does this and is freeware. Of course now I have no idea what it's called. I'm running 10.3.4 on a G4. I haven't done this before so could anyone point out an easy/effective app to use?

Thanks in advance,
npj

I just realised that my mac won't play the DVD burnt in my sony burner, an RDR-GX7. Does this mean there is no way to get any info off it?

VLC can only play files that are actually there. And if the Finder won't mount the volume, chances are rather low...

Usually, if a DVD is not protected (which it shouldn't be if you've made it yourself), you should be able to 'recover' the media on the DVD using one or the other free utility. Searching on versiontracker.com and/or macupdate.com for 'DVD' and/or 'MPEG' should give you quite some results.

Hrm... what if the Mac's drive just can't read it? Maybe he burnt it as a funky DVD+R format or something, and the drive is old, or something...

The DVD I have is burnt in what Sony called in the manual: DVD-RW VR

When you do this you can add chapters manually and edit things a fair bit after recording.

My G4 is a 1.42ghz so I guess my cd/dvd drive isn't that old?

Should I bother looking for some apps to read or is it impossible to play/rip a dvd that doesn't show in the finder???

maybe the options that you have selected to burn that kind of DVD made it non compatible with your G4... have you recorded it on a PC? whit which software? maybe you can try to see the details of your DVD drive, and check on vendor's website for driver updates...

Back