Free firewalls, or is it even needed?

Rick Stirling

Registered
I've been running my OS X firewall with no problems for months, but I've just got a PSP and it won't connect via Airport with the firewall switched on. I've tried opening the recommended TCP and UDP ports but it makes no difference.

So I'd like to try other Firewalls, but I don't want to pay just yet in case it makes no difference. Can anyone recommend a free OS X firewall that I could try, or is it even really necessary to have a firewall on the mac?

BTW, the PSP is an excellent WLAN scanner.

I recommend a software firewall on any OS. The built-in OSX one is decent though it lacks the ability to add custom rules etc. The firewall I ended up getting was Firewalk X 2 by Pliris. Although I heard it won't run on Tiger due to a change in the kernal Apple made. The 'demo' runs for 2 hours before it automatically disables & you need to reboot to get it active again.

I can't seem to access the official site at the moment but here's an alternative link: http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/10832

If you're running Tiger let me know I'll have a dig around to see what's out there.

Cheers,
Rick Blythin

Brickhouse is $25 shareware, but it's not crippled if you don't pay - probably mostly for just that sort of reason, so more people will try it out and decide that it's worth the money for them.

It's a configuration utility for the built in OS X firewall, the same one you're configuring with the control panel. However, the control panel for the firewall that comes with the OS is dumbed down almost to the point of mental retardation...

You do not need a firewall bacause there are no viruses for osx however you may need one for the router potection but just get a static ip and a scramble

'Dont worry be happy'

CJ MAC OSX IPOD said:
You do not need a firewall bacause there are no viruses for osx however you may need one for the router potection but just get a static ip and a scramble

'Dont worry be happy'

Granted the only real reason to currently run an anti-virus app is so that you don't spread things onto Windows users. But a software firewall is still recommended as most router firewalls only block incoming traffic & depending you might not be able to configure them much. With a software firewall you can control incoming/outgoing traffic & have more customized control. Firewalls have nothing to do with viruses/worms, they help prevent unauthorized access & any apps trying to 'dial home' :). Which is why I recommend everyone run a software firewall along side a router even on OS X & Linux systems.

Back