Free Local Dosk space???

MacGurl

Registered
I'm trying to install the sims 2 on my mac, and it gets right to the end, but when I try and play the game a pop up appears that says I need atleast 1mb of free disk space, and then tells me to free up some space on the Local Disk.
I'm so confused how do i do this??
Please help me.

Last edited:
I'm trying to install the sims 2 on my mac, and it gets right to the end, but when i try and play the game it says that i need 1mb of free disk space, and then tells me to free up some space on the Local Disk.
I'm so confused how do ii do this.

It would help to know what Mac you're using, and what OS version.

In the meantime, R-click once on your Hard Disk icon and then Get Info. It will tell you how disk space has been used and how much free space is available. If Sims is correct, then you'll need to clean out unwanted files, folders etc from your hard disk; and empty the Trash. Once that's done, do a cleanup of your permissions, files and system with Onyx.

Last edited:
If you are running low on disc space, be sure to check iMovie and iPhoto's Trash as they each have their own independent Trash, which if not kept in check can quickly use up valuable disc space.

Look in your Apps folder too, for any 3rd Party apps you installed but don't use.

When you are deleting an app, a really useful tool that will clean out any cruft associated with that app is "App Trap".

App Trap Website

App Trap is a System Preference Pane and runs in the background so that when you drag an app to the Trash you see a pop-up window asking you if you also want to deleted the associated files.

Although in the grand scheme of things, these associated files are quite small in size, App Trap is a very lightweight and useful app to have onboard.

I have nothing to gain from this recommendation and am not affiliated in any way ... I simply have used other such like 3rd Party solutions and find this one best suits my taste.

Hi all, I have not had the mac for very long as I am used to using a PC's so I would appreciate any assistance with as little jargon as possible. (Thanks) : )

My computer is an iMac OS X Leopard. After installation, when I double click on the sims 2 icon to play the game i get this message:

"The Sims 2 requires at least 1 MB of disk space. Free up some space on your local disk and then re-launch The Sims 2"

I checked the available space on my hard drive in utillities and it stated the following:

Capacity: 206.9 GB
Available: 144.9 GB
Used: 62.0 GB
Number of files660,95

Hence my confusion as there appears to be more than enough space available. What am I doing wrong?? Help!! I want to play!!

Hi all, I have not had the mac for very long as I am used to using a PC's so I would appreciate any assistance with as little jargon as possible. (Thanks) : )

My computer is an iMac OS X Leopard. After installation, when I double click on the sims 2 icon to play the game i get this message:

"The Sims 2 requires at least 1 MB of disk space. Free up some space on your local disk and then re-launch The Sims 2"

I checked the available space on my hard drive in utillities and it stated the following:

Capacity: 206.9 GB
Available: 144.9 GB
Used: 62.0 GB
Number of files660,95

Hence my confusion as there appears to be more than enough space available. What am I doing wrong?? Help!! I want to play!!

During the installation process when it asks to install the game, are you installing it in the Applications folder in your Mac's internal hard drive? It's usually the uppermost hard drive icon that's listed on the desktop. When it asks where to install, make sure that it's pointing the installation to the Applications folder inside that particular drive and no where else.

Back