Free player for windows media codecs?

DJ Rep

How Interesting...
Hi can anyone recommend an alternative to the one that microsoft supplies as it doesn't seem to play all the codecs that I need it to, or if you have any info on how to make it play all the WM9 codecs
Thanks

VLC is the best addition to the 'normal' players, i.e. QuickTime, realOne and WMP. It plays a lot of 'odd' codecs the other players don't. You also might want to install the latest (separately available) codecs, though.

Hi Guys thanks for that I have installed both but still no luck into playing this WMV can you point me in the right direction to download all the codecs I need?
Cheers

What's the file extension? Have you already installed DivX and the Xvid codecs? Another possibility is that the file is bad. Are you sure the file you're trying to play isn't corrupt?

yer because it plays the audio on both but says that there is no suitable decoder for fourcc codec WMV3 so do you know how I could install that codec?

After going on FourCC.org and looking up WMV3 under their video codecs section it would appear that WMV3 is a Windows Media 9 format, any idea how to install the codec for mac so that I can play it in Quicktime VLC or Mplayer?
Cheers

You may be out of luck with that particular file, sadly. AFAIK there are some WM9 codecs that just aren't available outside of Windows Media Player 9 for, well, Windows... You might be able to find some Windows software to transcode the file into something VLC can read, though. (Which would, of course, reduce quality.)

Flip4mac.com appears to be indevelopment of a program (plug-in) that will allow MAC users to open WMV files in Quicktime and edit, export to any MAC format.

I have not seen the program yet, it is schedule for release this month.

Craig Scherer
MED X CHANGE, Inc.

Back