FreeBSD on a PowerPC 400MHz?

1Copenut

Registered
I have an old 400 MHz PowerPC G4 that I will be replacing with a new iMac soon, and would like to use it (the old machine) as a firewall/router for a home network.

Can I run FreeBSD as my server front end rather than OS X 10.4?

All the literature I've read says FreeBSD is a strong choice for server machines and I could save myself a trip to eBay if this is plausible.

Thank you,

Trevor

I found FreeBSD to require a bit more setup and mucking around than I might like. I'd agree it is a powerful choice for deploying to server class machines, but the distributions I've tried weren't setup to be easy to maintain and configure.

I would recommend, instead, that you try YellowDog Linux or SuSE Linux PowerPC, which are considerably easier to setup and configure.

Thanks for the heads-up. I checked out Yellow Dog -- is the latest version for Mac 4.x?

Anything that can make my install easier, I'll definitely do that.

Try Ubuntu 6.10 for PPC which is the easiest of all, which even can be run as live CD before you install.

Yellow Dog is the only *nx which is pure PPC only (no x86 port).

Try Ubuntu 6.10 for PPC which is the easiest of all, which even can be run as live CD before you install.

Ahh, good. I have tried Ubuntu to be fantastic but I didn't realise that there was a PowerPC version of it. If thats the case, I'd say Ubuntu wins.

Back