Freeze (not panic?) when opening internet prefs

Jynx

Registered
Hi all. I'm a corny little unix and OS10.1.3 user who's patching up his dear ole mum's mac for internet use. So far I've managed to get it to freeze up with three variations of the same trick:
1) Open the preferences and go to internet preferences. It doesn't give a panic, the system jsut freezes and the mouse pointer goes into 'busy' mode. You can clikc what you want, but only the reset button will get you out.
2) Go to OSX Help, type "freeze" in the search field and click the link with the text "Shortcuts for freezes". Same as posted under 1).
3) Open the 'Users' under the system preferences. Same old raspberry.

I've been having this prob ever since I installed an ISDN driver for the Draytek ISDN Vigor 128k (I'm not sure about this though, i only ran into both problems after I installed the driver but seeing as I can't access the internet settings where I was once able to, it stands to reason.) Since these are all very specific causes I've ruled out hardware.

With things as they are, I stand no chance of changing the internet settings (and thus the modem.) I've booted the modem drivers and everything which looks remotely like it, but no luck. To top it off, fate has determined it would now be a great time to hide my OSX CD somewhere after I did my last housecleaning so I can't reinstall either, and although I'll have a new CD soon it's hard to say how long and time rolls on. Naturally, I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem and what can be done about it, or if there's some nifty unix commands I can use to test if everything is still attached; prefer that over a complete reinstall. Anyone?

Thanks in advance for the effort,

Jynx

iMac G3 500Mhz / 192MB RAM / 9.5gb hd, 8gb used / 2xUSB, 2xFW, 56k internal modem, network 100baseT / Drivers for Epson C70 Stylus printer (currently not hooked up)

...I've tried a full reinstall, now I can access the network thingies again but not the Users (same crash)... am I missing something so obvious that the high and mighty here look down on me, then, that I'm not worth even a 'Piss off'?

Jynx

Aargh... The Test That Stumped Them All

Back