Freezing during shutdown

addicted2macs

Registered
First, let me give a little background....

Our newspaper is upgrading pretty much every mac in the building from old G3s running OS8.6-9.2 to new G5s and IMac G5s running OS 10.4.2. It's my job to get this done.

To this end, I've done a couple things. One, I've setup a handful of machines, performed software updates, installed production software, etc. Two, I've setup a couple "model" machines, on which I've used Carbon Copy Cloner to dupe into a disk image optimized for ASR (Apple Software Restore). I've taken that disk image and setup about 30 machines.

On the machines that I setup with tender, loving care and rolled out to the users, I'm seeing standard behavior.

On a few of the machines that I setup using a cloned hard drive image, I'm seeing fairly standard behavior, except at shutdown. When shutting down, I've got a few machines that will quit out of any open applications, then quit the Finder, then they sit there with a blue screen and a spinning gear.

They'll sit there indefinitely. At some point, the machine kicks its cooling system into high gear, turning itself into a miniature wind tunnel.

I have to hold the power button for a few seconds to shut the machine down, then reboot it normally. After that, things are fine.

I've run Cocktail TE on all these machines. I've also run Apple's Disk Utility to check for any problems there. Both operate normally and show no errors. I've tried making alternate disk images from alternate "model" machines and I get the same sporadic problem.

Any ideas?

Brian

We are having the same problem in our office. We have about 8 G5's and imac G5's and it seems as if the 3 towers are having this problem but the imacs don't. the towers all came at sperate intervals over the past year and the imacs are all very new. everything was installed on each machine seperately. i also noticed that my machine used to do this very intermittently and now it happens about 70% of the time. The other machine is about 20% and the last one 100%. dont know if this helps but i've been wondering about this problem for a while.
jusi

My G5 does this every great once in a while as well. It seems to be when I cautch it off guard and tell it to shut down before it has a chance to finish coming out of sleep mode or if I just quit about 5 programs and then immediatly tell it to shut down. Are your G5s dual processors? Mine is a dual processor and I was just thinking that maybe it's a dual processor thing... It don't think mine has done it much lately, perhaps as a result of the latest Operating System update. Are your G5's Operating Systems fully up to date? That might solve the problem.

It may also be a USB problem or something plugged into the USB port. Concerning my Beige G3, when it was running OS 9.2.2, it would freeze every time during shut down if my external iomega zip CD burner was pluged into the USB port. If I unplugged the CD burner, it shut down fine and I didn't even need to unplug the other USB devices. Eventually I figured out that de-activating the various "authoring support" extensions fixed the problem. Maybe your problem is an external device.

Good Luck...

Back