freezing macbook, 10.5.8

dmartinxi

Registered
Hi, I'm deployed to Afghanistan right now and a few days my macbook took a fall off of my cot, only about a foot. However since then my macbook has been freezing and not opening programs. I've done disk repair and disk utility, everything seems to be fine. I used the Mac OS X disc that came with the computer and reinstalled to an older OS, then updated back to 10.5.8. Still freezing. I thought the problem was initially with iPhoto, as everything else was working but iPhoto would lock the computer up with the spinning color wheel and not let me do anything. The computer will also not recover from the screen saver. I have my iPhoto library set us as my screen saver and all it says it "looking for pictures...". In the past couple of days whatever the problem is seems to have spread as now iTunes will freeze the computer as well as System Preferences. I'm a little skeptic to open much else other than Safari because the computer freezing and having to hard restart is getting old. I don't have normal access to a phone so it hasnt been easy to talk to apple. Thought I would give this a shot, any help would be greatly appreciated. THANK YOU!!

Wow.

Thank you for your service.

The Gurus can tell you whether or not you damaged some hardware. The Hardware test--perform'd off the Installation disk--may help. Search this site for simple directions on how to do that.

However, you should, as soon as possible, back up your data. I have no idea how easy that is to do in your situation--borrow some HD space or get an Ex-HD--but see if you can do it.

The problem with hard restarts and freezed is they can introduce volume errors that, in my experience, Disk Utility may not fix. A Guru may disagree with me, but I have an uncanny ability to frell something beyond all hope. So you may either use a proprietary program like Disk Warrior or TechTools--which you would have to order . . . good luck!--or do either an Archive or Clean Install.

The second would wipe you data.

--J.D.

Sounds like perhaps the hard drive might have got jolted from the drop. Boot to the installer then go to utilities/disk utility and try to repair the disk and see if it is successful.

EDIT: Doctor X beat me to it.

Just to reiterate, if you end up with a damaged Int-HD you are going to want to back up your data. Hopefully, it is "software" rather than "hardware" in which you a simple Clean and Install will fix the problem. You can then hook it back up to your Ex-HD and bring back over your account and data.

--J.D.

I'd still make sure a new user account has the same problem, reset the PRAM and the Power Manager.

Back