FRESH Mac OS 10.1, Debian 2.2

tyc

Registered
I was playing around with my tibook, trying to do a clean install of 10.1 and debian.. In the end, I wanted the minimal set of partitions required to make 10.1 and debian happy, i.e. for each OS, 1 partition for the system and 1 small partition for swap.. To add to the challenge, I wanted to only use the software provided on each of these CDs (and nothing else) to do the job..

I had boundless trouble in relation to getting the partitions right, and ended up using the OS 9.1 CD to create partitions such that OS 10.1 would recognize the drive to install onto..

I found that by installing the base debian system, HFSutils get installed, which makes it possible to format HFS partitions so that OS 10.1 will recognize the partition and happily install itself?

Is it possible to get a shell running from booting off of the OS 10.1 CD? i.e. some command in OpenFirmware to boot Darwin in text mode? Any other possibilities?

Since I legitimately own 10.1, I made my own custom boot CD by removing several files (i.e. CheckForOSX) and ended up with enough space to add in a subset of the Developer Tools... I'm going to explore integrating the DT packages into the main OS 10.1 installer so I don't have to do any seperate installers.. And perhaps some other essentials too :)

Back