"From Old Mac" Files & Folders

jcan

Registered
Good morning,

I have recently migrated my old MBP to my new one, through Migration Assistant. The process went very smoothly, and with some minor exceptions I didn't need to do any extra modifications to my new system as it operated just like before.

However, today I saw a folder named "home (from old mac) in my root directory; I checked it out and saw it was empty. I realized that this probably was a leftover from the migration process, and I immediately performed a search with "old mac" as keywords, and found also 2 files: ".DS_Store (from old mac)" and ".localized (from old mac)"; the second has 0 kB size, while the first is small.

Do these files/folders serve any purpose, or can I safely delete them?

Thanks.

You should be able to delete them just fine. You are correct in assuming that they are leftover from Migration Assistant.

The .DS_Store file and the .localized file are, by default, hidden in the regular finder view. The .DS_store file saves custom attributes of folders, like the position of icons and the choice of background. The .localized files have to do with naming certain things in a "localized" way, meaning naming them according to country or region.

Hope that helps

Thanks a lot for the reply. I was able to delete the folder from the finder, but I can't delete the two hidden files. Is there a special way to delete hidden files?

EDIT: It's OK, I deleted these 2 as well! Everything is fine now! :)

Last edited:
Back