From Win XP Pro ----> Mac OSX ...questions / help please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, personally I prefer list view, so that's almost all moot for me...

That's one thing you don't see in Windows!

Originally posted by hulkaros
I wasn't talking about OS 9 VS Windows :mad: I was talking about OS 9 GUI speed VS Windows GUI speed... But if you want to go there, how come and MS copied OS 9 functions THAT much if it was such a crappy OS? :D

But they didn't copy the kernel. ;) Can you actually say the OS 9 kernel, or whatever it's called, is more stable than the NT kernel? Personal jabs aside. ;)

The part where you want to paste files/folders usually is loads of double clicks or at best loads of single clicks which are USELESS in Mac... You just wait and BOOM the Folders open AUTOMATICALLY... Want me to post a video or something in order for you to get it? :rolleyes: Have you EVER actually used a Mac for copying, moving, etc. files/folder? :rolleyes:

Absolutely. But very often I use the Copy function in the context menu instead of dragging things around. I think it's faster than dragging, waiting for folders to pop open and then drag files to the edge of the window and wait for it to scroll, where I could have just gone to where I wanted and then paste

Unfortunately, I MUST use Windows (all versions) EVERY single day... I work as a Wintel/Mac tech... But the real question is: Are YOU using Windows at all? Windows DO NOT have Spring Loaded folders :p And at this point I think we passed the personal preference... It is simply a matter of elegance in simplicity (Mac) VS absolute stupidity (Windows) while copying, moving, etc. files/folders...

They absolutely do. I'm on XP right now and they did. Try it again and then apologize. You want a video?

No. It would be more like Open With, but you can put whatever you want into it.
So I could put TextEdit in it, for example, so I could open whatever I want in it.

In the picture I posted did you notice the Move To, Copy To, Make Alias In, etc for crying out loud? Although, not a built in function for OS X, one can simply download these for free! Not to mention that you don't actually need them because you can Send To files/folders in Dock apps/folders :D

No, you misunderstood. I'm talking about sending to applications, not folders. The closest thing I have seen to do this is Zingg. This is, for example, if I see a file I know is an ascii file, but not a .txt or the like, but I want to open it in Notepad. I can right click on it and go to Send To and open it in Notepad. I also keep Wordpad in there since some files I download do not open correctly in Notepad. I don't see your Dock comment as a viable alternative. I would not put everything I use every once in a while there. I have Dock menus for this stuff, but they, as far as I remember, are not spring-loaded. This is my dock: http://e-this.net:8080/stuff/dock.jpg .

I'll give you one more reply here and then I'm done. You are starting to get really rude in your comments and it's uncalled for.

That's Hulk for you... he's a green, Greek, passionate monster.

Hazmat, the real question is: Which OS do you prefer?

Originally posted by arden
That's Hulk for you... he's a green, Greek, passionate monster.

Hazmat, the real question is: Which OS do you prefer?

OS X, absolutely. But, I give credit where credit is due to other OSs. None of them are perfect, and all are better than the others for certain people's uses. For me, OS X is the right tool for the job.

Originally posted by hazmat
But they didn't copy the kernel. ;) Can you actually say the OS 9 kernel, or whatever it's called, is more stable than the NT kernel? Personal jabs aside. ;)

You completely changed the subject... From Finder scrolling speed into Kernel wars!

Absolutely. But very often I use the Copy function in the context menu instead of dragging things around. I think it's faster than dragging, waiting for folders to pop open and then drag files to the edge of the window and wait for it to scroll, where I could have just gone to where I wanted and then paste

You can set the pop-up delay into split of a second! Anyways, you like working this way and that's fine by me...

They absolutely do. I'm on XP right now and they did. Try it again and then apologize. You want a video?

Spring Folders = Folders that automatically pop up/open when you drag something on them... If you have such a thing in your XP installation it may be because of something you installed! In that way you may as well install a Dock into XP! But find a clean XP installation and YES post a video of that! :p I have nothing to apologize here other than feeling sorry because someone in www.macosx.com wants to tell people here that XP has a feature which CLEARLY it doesn't! :eek:

No, you misunderstood. I'm talking about sending to applications, not folders. The closest thing I have seen to do this is Zingg. This is, for example, if I see a file I know is an ascii file, but not a .txt or the like, but I want to open it in Notepad. I can right click on it and go to Send To and open it in Notepad. I also keep Wordpad in there since some files I download do not open correctly in Notepad. I don't see your Dock comment as a viable alternative. I would not put everything I use every once in a while there. I have Dock menus for this stuff, but they, as far as I remember, are not spring-loaded. This is my dock: http://e-this.net:8080/stuff/dock.jpg.

Cool! A clean Dock! But what about the Open With... command? It is the same thing but with different name! What about the Services option in Finder menu? Select a file, Click Finder menu, Services, TextEdit, Open File, Click! I don't see the difference between Send To and Open With in the way you are describing your work here! :confused: Both Open With AND Services can be customized to include WHATEVER you feel like it!

I'll give you one more reply here and then I'm done. You are starting to get really rude in your comments and it's uncalled for.

I would tell you the same but I will not! I will keep this "debate" open... It is interesting! :D

OS X, absolutely. But, I give credit where credit is due to other OSs. None of them are perfect, and all are better than the others for certain people's uses. For me, OS X is the right tool for the job.

The same here! For example I cannot tell to a Bank here in Greece to buy a Mac in order to use it for online banking! I tell them to buy a Wintel/Amd with >= Windows NT 4.0+Service Packs because that is the tool for their job!

But we aren't writing here about OS X VS XP, are we? The thing started with Windows Explorer things that Finder doesn't have... So, let's try and keep it there!

Windows Explorer VS Finder! :D

Spring Folders = Folders that automatically pop up/open when you drag something on them... If you have such a thing in your XP installation it may be because of something you installed! In that way you may as well install a Dock into XP! But find a clean XP installation and YES post a video of that! :p I have nothing to apologize here other than feeling sorry because someone in www.macosx.com wants to tell people here that XP has a feature which CLEARLY it doesn't! :eek:

It does. I also just tried it on my work laptop with XP Pro and it worked there. I never did much with this laptop. Plus I just had a friend who has XP and 2k at home on two seperate machines try this and he said it worked on both.

Cool! A clean Dock! But what about the Open With... command? It is the same thing but with different name! What about the Services option in Finder menu? Select a file, Click Finder menu, Services, TextEdit, Open File, Click! I don't see the difference between Send To and Open With in the way you are describing your work here! :confused: Both Open With AND Services can be customized to include WHATEVER you feel like it!

Open With you can't customize. It's only what OS X thinks can open that file. Right clicking on the file, going to a menu and selecting TextEdit is a lot quicker and more intuitive to me than having to select it, then go to the application menu, Services, TextEdit, Open file. Send To in Windows is a subdirectory of either Windows or your user's Documents and Settings stuff and you can drop in whatever shortcuts you want. It's been around since Win95. Very handy. I wish OS X had this. How do you customize the Services?

Edit: Crap, sorry about the quoting thing. I hate this method with tags and such. Oh well, I'm sure it's easy enough to understand.

It does. I just had a friend who had XP and 2k at home on two seperate machines try this and he said it worked on both. He had never heard of this functionality before, and after he saw it, he asked, "Why do we care?"

Open With you can't customize. It's only what OS X thinks can open that file. Right clicking on the file, going to a menu and selecting TextEdit is a lot quicker and more intuitive to me than having to select it, then go to the application menu, Services, TextEdit, Open file. How do you customize the Services?

Edit: Crap, sorry about the quoting thing. I hate this method with tags and such. Oh well, I'm sure it's easy enough to understand.

Look, hazmat! This is beyond me! I really want to talk this out but saying that Spring Loaded folders is not a Mac OS ONLY thing is really trying to tell me that the earth is flat! NO Windows version has it... If you AND your friend believe otherwise, hmmmmmm :rolleyes: I just hope that others here will clear this part for you and maybe just maybe you will believe THEM :(

There is NO WAY that in a default Windows (ANY version) installation you can drag something on top of the My Computer icon and that icon will open to showcase its contents or ANY other folder for that matter! This simply DOES NOT happen in Windows and I'm really sorry to break it to you and your friend... What really worries me is that for such a CLEAR thing if we cannot agree I cannot simply imagine talking about something like rocket science! :eek:

I won't argue anymore with Open With, Send To, whatever... It is clearly a matter of how deep you went with OS X and/or Windows knowledge! I just feel that you just scratched the surface with OS X, if at all :(

As for how to customize the Services, run a search at www.macosxhints.com and ready made apps and scripts at:
http://www.macupdate.com/index.php?os=macosx
http://www.versiontracker.com/macosx/

I just hope that we will remain just another two www.macosx.com members and not enemies or something.. ::alien::

There is NO WAY that in a default Windows (ANY version) installation you can drag something on top of the My Computer icon and that icon will open to showcase its contents or ANY other folder for that matter! This simply DOES NOT happen in Windows and I'm really sorry to break it to you and your friend... What really worries me is that for such a CLEAR thing if we cannot agree I cannot simply imagine talking about something like rocket science! :eek:

Well there's the problem. It doesn't work on the My Computer icon on the desktop. In fact I removed that the second I installed Windows. It works in Windows Explorer, which is the only place in Windows I do file management. Windows-key+e. Poof.

I just hope that we will remain just another two www.macosx.com members and not enemies or something.. ::alien::

No, we just have to agree to disagree. :)

Well there's the problem. It doesn't work on the My Computer icon on the desktop. In fact I removed that the second I installed Windows. It works in Windows Explorer, which is the only place in Windows I do file management. Windows-key+e. Poof.

No, we just have to agree to disagree. :) [/B]

I said in ANY other folder too and not just the My Computer... As for the Windows key+E=Poof, could that be that you have installed some special/custom keyboard management software? Especially in Windows XP this opens up a Windows Explorer window... This is hardly ANYTHING like Spring Folders! :rolleyes:

Damn! You obviously CANNOT get what a Spring Folder is! :p

I will repeat it for you one more time and keep in mind that this works even in older versions of Mac OS and not only OS X as well as with ANY Finder window/folder/view:
-I select a folder from Documents and a picture from Pictures while in List View
-I drag those selected files on a folder named "blah-blah" on Desktop
-While hovering those selected stuff above the blah-blah folder for a second or so
-The blah-blah folder opens up and displays its contents
-I see that here is the folder which is called, say bb2 that I want to drop those selected files
-I drop there
-Files moved, case closed!

Give it a shot PLEASE! And you will get it! Or so I believe! PLUS, I will repeat that such a thing DOESN'T exist on ANY Windows version by default... :D

PS. I sincerely hope that you aren't making fun of me... This seriously is SO easy to figure that even 6-7 years old kids that I taught them to handle it got it almost from the get-go!!!!!!

More than once I have said "Windows Explorer". I know exactly how Mac OS works with spring-loaded folders, as buggy as they are in OS X. I hope that Apple has fixed them in 10.3.

:confused: Total Confusion! :confused:

More than once I said that Spring Folders are a NO WAY in ANY Windows version in Windows Explorer or folders or whatever, wither you care to admit or no and I really hope that M$ will include them in Windows WhateverVersionWillComeNextWhenItWillCome even as buggy as in OS X :rolleyes:

Maybe just maybe you are using an ::alien:: version of Windows but then again aren't they all? :p

I see what you mean. I never even tried it anywhere but in Windows Explorer. In both Windows and Mac OS I don't keep anything on my desktop, including mounted volumes. I open a Finder window to access them in that case. I wish the Finder icon in the Dock would act spring-loaded. But honestly that's about the least of my worries about future versions of Windows. I feel like a slut using it, but I have to at work. Actually, I don't have to use Windows at work, but I have to have my Dell PC. I could run any OS I wanted to for x86, but I hate X Windows for desktop use. So to be productive I use Windows. I am hoping that Zeta comes through (BeOS).

I'd like to see a movie of this so-called Windows Spring-loaded Folder action, if it's not too much trouble. I'm curious to see what you're talking about, as is Hulk, I'm sure.

One thing that bugs me about Windows programs is that double-clicking the icon of a currently open program will launch that program, again. This could be good, I suppose, but it's too easy to end up with a ton of instances of the same program open, especially if it's a younger child at the helm who doesn't know all the ins and outs of computers.

I'd like to see a movie of this so-called Windows Spring-loaded Folder action, if it's not too much trouble. I'm curious to see what you're talking about, as is Hulk, I'm sure.

Sure, you know of any software to do it?

One thing that bugs me about Windows programs is that double-clicking the icon of a currently open program will launch that program, again. This could be good, I suppose, but it's too easy to end up with a ton of instances of the same program open, especially if it's a younger child at the helm who doesn't know all the ins and outs of computers.

I think that's simply a difference that takes getting used to, as the Mac way did for me when I got it. With Notepad, for example, opening it again is like opening a new window in a Mac app. I did notice something interesting once in Windows, though. In IE, if you spawn a new window, like CTRL-N, it is part of the same process as the window that spawned it. Opening the program again on its own creates a new process for it.

1) Snapz Pro... OH WAIT IT'S MAC-ONLY HA HA LOL...

Okay, sorry... either repeatedly hit Print Screen (ha, yeah right), or try one of these programs.

2) Yeah, I noticed that thing about IE too. It's useful for opening a new window without the same history as you've just been at, or for making a new document (OS X apps will do this too if you have no windows open in that application), but it's rather annoying for simple games like Hearts.

I wonder this: We have some Mods here who happen to use Windows everyday for good or ill :p but where are their take on this VERY simple matter of Spring Folders on Windows? :rolleyes: Or is this some grand scheme of letting us have some fun here until we go all nasty in this thread? :D

Anyways, this is all wrong and I think hazmat knows it already but he just don't want to admit or he doesn't care... Repeat after me: THERE ARE NO SPRING FOLDERS LIKE IN MAC OS IN ANY WINDOWS VERSION IN EXPLORER, BE IT WINDOWS EXPLORER OR JUST EXPLORER OR WHEREVER IN WINDOWS... FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!! :mad:

:mad: VERY LOUD :mad:

I'll have to try it tomorrow at work. Just to back up Hulk or Haz.

I think when you find that spring-loading in Windows Explorer (at least in 2k or XP) works and report back here, hulkaros is going to have some sort of aneurism.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back