Front Row Judder

purplehaze

Registered
Hi

First post here, I hope someone will be able to help.
I received a new 20" iMac with 256Mb graphics yesterday. Just went to use front row and as soon as you select Photos or Music and scroll up and down the lists with the remote the screen starts to jump and judder around so you end up with a superimposed image over and to the side of the list until you stop scrolling (and even then it jumps periodically), it looks awful.

Has anyone else who's got a iMac confirm that thiers is behaving normally. Apple are arranging a returns but I'd like to know it is not normal behaviour.

Regards

Ty

I have a 17 inch model with the standard 128k graphics. I have not experienced this behavior, nor have I heard about this from anyone else.

I would say it's time to call Apple, or, if you live near a store, take it in.

Thanks for the replies. Something is definitely amiss so Apple are taking it back and shipping me a new one. I hope the new one is fine!

Actually, this problem has been reported with a "few" 20"'s, and especially with the ones with the 256 vram. Doesn't seem to be defined yet. Some are claiming Apple is replacing them, others are told to hold on to theirs while Applecare researches it.

I was ready to order, but saw a few threads on this very problem the other day and decided to wait and see what the outcome is. Most seem to think it's a software glitch, but others are reporting the problem occuring in other apps as well.

There is also the case where the hardware test and ....system profiler(?) are reporting different values on the vram on the machine.

I also saw a post where the poster said he had taken his machine back to the Apple store he bought it from and and was told that they were told not to sell anymore 20" 256 vram machines, and not to take any for repairs at this time.

Obviously, something is .... wrong. Either it's a bad batch of machines, a software glitche or something else. Whatever it is, I hope they fix it soon.

Just a follow up to what I said.....from what I am seeing on the net, build 165 doesn't have the problem, but 171 does. Take it with a grain of salt though. I went ahead and ordered mine, so I'm hoping I get the earlier build.

Beg's a question as to why apple is installing two different builds?

Build 165 and 171 of _what_ are we talking about? FrontRow? I've heard the problem also appeared on some iMovie effects or something. (Apple's discussion board...) So it would not simply be a fix in the FrontRow software.

Oh, sorry, that would be OS X builds. It seems to happen on the _171 build more so than the _165 build. There is some discussion on this matter in the Apple support forums on this very subject.

Personally, I think it is a software problem and as such have no problem and/or concern about my impending arrival of a 20" iMac with 256 VRAM.

I myself have the same problem but it happens more when im using safari, I notice lots of jitters when Im scrolling through images, I think it may be a software issue, so im going to wait till 10.4.5 comes out before i contact apple on the problem

I have a 20" Inel Core Duo 1GB 256MB VRAM Imac

Back