Front Screen bezel

jameister

Registered
Hi There

I have a Macbook Pro 17 inch 2.4Ghz (Santa Rosa), Model A1229.

The front screen bezel has 2 cracks both on either side from what seems to be caused by the hinge screws becoming loose in turn creating too much stress on the bezel.

My question is.. does anyone know of where I could get this part? I have tried ebay (UK & US) and various other mac spares sites but NO ONE has it.

Also told that Apple don't even stock the bezel alone and comes complete with the LCD screen, quoted £650!

It's a shame as without this the machine is in a word useless :(

Can anyone help??

Cheers

Jamie

Had the same problem when my dog decided to jump over my MBP. Never could get a reasonable fix (other than a total lid replacement). Finally sold it for $1000 to a fella that uses it for a 'desktop'. I can totally sympathize with you.

Apple only sells the entire clamshell/display assembly as one piece. Anything that you will find online is going to be from a machine that's had the display assembly pieces stripped down. Then on top of that the likelihood it will be for the correct model is a crap shoot. Then on top of that, the display is glued to the front bezel, so you will need to pry the LCD panel with a puddy knife to get it loose, all without cracking the LCD. I do LCD replacements on macbook pros because parts can be found, and if you are already dealing with a busted LCD then its not going to matter if you crack the LCD more. But if someone comes in wanting their bezel fixed, I just quote them a whole new display assembly.

Had the same problem when my dog decided to jump over my MBP. Never could get a reasonable fix (other than a total lid replacement). Finally sold it for $1000 to a fella that uses it for a 'desktop'. I can totally sympathize with you.

Sorry to hear about yours, yes it is a nightmare, still deciding what to do

Apple only sells the entire clamshell/display assembly as one piece. Anything that you will find online is going to be from a machine that's had the display assembly pieces stripped down. Then on top of that the likelihood it will be for the correct model is a crap shoot. Then on top of that, the display is glued to the front bezel, so you will need to pry the LCD panel with a puddy knife to get it loose, all without cracking the LCD. I do LCD replacements on macbook pros because parts can be found, and if you are already dealing with a busted LCD then its not going to matter if you crack the LCD more. But if someone comes in wanting their bezel fixed, I just quote them a whole new display assembly.

Thanks and I hear what your saying. I've already removed the bezel from the LCD, this was fairly simple, just having to be careful that's all, I did this on the assumption that you could get the part. I fix/repair laptops for a living, mainly PC's so Macs are rather a new kind of beast for me, then it was only until I started searching and finding info that I realised the problem in getting the part.

Hello everyone!
I have the same problem, and wondered if any of you guys had found a solution (other than continuous application of Gaffer Tape!). My laptop is otherwise working like a dream, and I don't see the need to spend £600 to fix what is really quite a small problem.... Any news, please let me know!
Thanks, Miles

Hello everyone!
I have the same problem, and wondered if any of you guys had found a solution (other than continuous application of Gaffer Tape!). My laptop is otherwise working like a dream, and I don't see the need to spend £600 to fix what is really quite a small problem.... Any news, please let me know!
Thanks, Miles

Unfortunately Miles, your in the same boat as just about every other MBP user with this problem, and getting hold of a bezel is like getting hold of hens teeth! I searched and searched for months and eventually gave up, but I'm sure if your patient enough your eventually find one, probably set you back £200.

I'd keep using the gaffer tape, btw the silver tape blends in quite nicely! :)

Back