Frozen in Finder

swiss

Registered
Please help.

I was using explorer through parallels when the whole system froze and allowed me to do nothing.

Having tried to close all the app's down and also a force quit i was unable to get anything to happen. I left it running over night thinking it would calm down and that maybe it was having a moment, but in the morning nothing. I turned it off and when i restarted it is frozen in Finder.

I have Option-Command-Escaped'd and it brings up Force Quit Application and Finder is highlighted with the Relaunch button highlighted and although the mouse is inaffective, pressing the enter key causes the screen to empty for a moment and then come back up with the Force Quit Application box.

Does anybody have any advice?

Its running OS X.

Thanks

Did you ever find an answer? My husband is having a finder freeze problem as well. He can't sign on to one of his accounts b/c finder comes up and freezes. Thanks

You need to sacrifice an unblemished goat to [Stop that!--Ed.] . . . oh . . . yes . . . sorry, wrong message board.

Right: you both need to post your details:

• 1. Mac Model
    2. OS
    3. Processor
    4. RAM
    5. Shoe size

Until then, you may try the following:

1. Restart on the Disk Utility: those installation disks that came with the computer. Pop in the disk and restart pressing "Option" to start up on a disk different from your HD's System disk. Then run repairs.

2. Restart from Another Computer: if you have one--you can find the directions for "Target Disk Mode" in other threads--to try to grab what data you have not backed up.

--J.D.

Mac book pro
Leopard
4 g

When my husband turns on the computer he can access 2 (one with admin and one w/o) of 3 accounts. When he tries to access the 3rd account (also has admin) he uses most frequently the bar for finder appears on top of the screen and the cursor is just spinning. The other accounts work fine.

We dont have the installation disks with us b/c we are away from home at this time (and will be for a month).

Does that sound like anything you have seen? Is that enough information?

No that is quite a bit of information.

I, myself, probably cannot help you further since I do not have multiple accounts--just the one. However, the "good news" is it seems that you do not have a hardware problem--dying HD, bad RAM, et cetera since you say the other accounts work.

I assume when he restarts he can only sign into those accounts and not into this broken account?

It is possible that that account became corrupted. How it became corrupted and others did not is beyond my ken. I have to defer to others on how to repair that account. Though one thing you might try--I have no idea if it will work--go to the Disk Utility in the other Admin Account and see if running that helps. Usually, it will only fix the simplest problems since you usually have to be booted on a disk with DU--like your installation/rescue disks.

You can also try to see--if you have access to a DVD burner--if you can create a bootable Disk Utility and try to use that to repair the accounts.

--J.D.

Back