Frozen Mac

nhman

Registered
My IMac running osx just froze while surfing with Firefox. It completely locked me out of everything, I could not even do force quit. I shut off the power and restarted. My desktop will come up and I can move the mouse but nothing will open.

Help!

Frozen Mac? Nuke it for a few minutes in the microwave and you're golden! ;) (just kidding :p)

If you have the discs that came with your iMac, boot from it with the install disc in the drive by holding the C key once you hear the startup chime. When you're greeted with the installation screen, go to the menu and launch Disk Utility. Once Disk Utility launches, run a Repair Disk and do it until you get the message that the volume is OK. After that, Repair Permissions until you see no more permissions being repaired on the drive. After that's done, quit the installation and the Mac should reboot. See if you can launch apps once you're at the desktop.

If that doesn't work, see if you can create a new login account in System Preferences, login through that and see if you can launch apps from there. It's possible that your current account might have some corruptions.

Back