Fruity Loops

BLEEDINGSKULLS

Registered
I wasn't sure where to put this post, but does anyone know where I can find a similar program to Fruity Loops on mac os x?

I've heard of Ableton live. I found garageband wasn't that good, but I've only tried Garageband not Garageband 2, is it any good?

Check out the Garageband 3 page I posted. That'll tell you everything you need to know.

I've used GB 2 and while I do enjoy it a lot, I'm irked by the fact that there's no MIDI out functionality. From what I've read online, GB 3 also has this problem. While I do like the sounds, I wish it would have the ability to do MIDI out so that I could have use of the sounds on my synths. I mean, it's not that big a deal to have MIDI out for something as simple as GB. Sure, I could get something with more featues, but I like GB's interface and ease-of-use. It's just that the lack of that one feature keeps it from being what could be the be-all, end-all music application for me. :(

I've used GB 2 and while I do enjoy it a lot, I'm irked by the fact that there's no MIDI out functionality. From what I've read online, GB 3 also has this problem. While I do like the sounds, I wish it would have the ability to do MIDI out so that I could have use of the sounds on my synths. I mean, it's not that big a deal to have MIDI out for something as simple as GB. Sure, I could get something with more featues, but I like GB's interface and ease-of-use. It's just that the lack of that one feature keeps it from being what could be the be-all, end-all music application for me. :(

It really is a good program given its consumer target. I would use it more than Live 5 if it weren't for Ableton's better utiliziation of loopology and combined linear and live compilation screens. I also miss the more professional feel of changing frequency and arpeggiating and all that good stuff that more professional music apps have.

But see, I can understand purchasing an application that does all those things. GB isn't meant to be that. But at least a MIDI out function shoud be included. Hell, I was happy just using a sequencer for quite a long time (Master Tracks Pro). A MIDI out function in GB would put me in that happy place once again (only because Master Tracks Pro doesn't work nicely in Classic and GB is the only other Mac app that comes close to it in intuitiveness IMO).

If you're looking for an application similar to Fruity Loops, on a mac. you're best option is probably Reason. It doesn't cost as much as Logic for example and has alot of similarities to Fruity Loops but also alot more functionality.

I'm pretty sure Reason still runs on a Mac, at least it did last time I checked.

Check out the Propellerheads website for more info. That should help you out.

Martin :)

I think most professional packages would be a bit confusing if you're upgrading from Fruity Loops. It's a good program but it's quite limited, I think Reason is probably your best option. It does take a while to get used to but it's good piece of software and you can get some quite nice sounds out of it...

Have another look into it mate before spending alot more on Logic, cos that gonna be alot more confusing.

Just my opinion, anyway.

Martin

yer it's very easy to use, you should email apple and give them your feedback, it's worth a shot!

That's actually an excellent idea. I will do so. I'm sure I'm not the only one that's requested that basic feature. I know that there's a plugin called midiO or something like that that allows for the MIDI out function, but it's caused lockups on GarageBand 2.x.

On my Linux box, I have been playing around with LMMS and it looks very promising. I know there's another project called Jokosher but the one that came with Ubuntu Edgy didn't really have that many features (LMMS has been around much longer). I might install the QT libraries and compile it in X11 on the Mac just for kicks. :)

ok my first word is ####!.
and my second word is MAC

Why is is that, a person, a normal Little guy asking politely and generously about fruity loops on a mac.

yes?

Ive been surfing the #### gooogle web of infinity trying to look for this simple question. IS THERE FRUITY LOOPS FOR MAC???

but NO.

all i get is "u better use REASON because then you will be famous"

#### reason. reason is for producers who wont get any success period.

so for just go back to PC because mac is ... ### this bye

Last edited by a moderator:
lol, yer i wanted a similar program to fruity loops but i couldnt find one, i have reason and logic now but i use em rarely. I have installed windows with boot camp so I can use fruity loops so its all good man

jolly good: watch your attitude, your language and read the bloody rules of the forum. well, i guess the problem solved itself. i hope your "bye" was the only word we actually had to read.

Here's something I don't understand. If one needs a program that's specifically for Windows, why not just use Windows then? BLEEDINGSKULLS seemed to have figured that out, but for others looking for a particular app that is only on one platform, please either try the solutions given to you that are comparable on the other platform or just stick with the platform that it's available for. Sometimes, fanboism isn't the answer, and that's not what you'll find on here. Sometimes it's just a matter of getting things done. Yes, this is mainly directed to jolly good (since his was really one useless drive-by troll of a post), but it's really a general thing for everyone to think about. If it does the job for you, then by all means don't go looking for something where it doesn't exist. You'll either have to adapt to what's available if a particular platform isn't for you, or stick with what you have. "If it ain't broke..." ;)

Back