FRYKE. i need your help with this.

spgmr2005

Registered
there is this powerbook(15in) G4 on ebay that i've been looking at. i've also been looking at the macbook. the upgrades i plan on doing to the macbook are as follows: superdrive, 80gig HDD, 1gig RAM. the powerbook's specs are as follows: processor speed 1.5GHz, 80 gig HDD, 1gig RAM. the powerbook is going for 1000 dollars(american) w/shipping, about 1020. the macbook setup is going to cost me about 1500. do you think the powerbook is a good deal, or do you think that with the macbook being intel based make it more desireable?

i think that everyone on here would say macbook. the G4 powerbook is 2/3 year old processor speeds, which were milked as long as possible (the G5 debacle lasted a lot longer than people really wanted, and the G4's were stretched far longer than designed).

the intel macs are the future.

Unless you want more screen real-estate (and processing power is not a must), get the MacBook. If you do get a 15" PB, I'd go for the 1 GHz models, which are around $600 - $800. The TiBooks are even cheaper.

Also, make sure that you're getting a good deal with buying the Apple upgrades. Third-party solutions are often much cheaper.

actually, the 15" powerbooks only have 54 extra rows of pixels.

PowerBook Ti 15" 1152x768
Powerbook 15" 1280x854
Final rev 15" (still pretty pricey) 1440x900

MacBook - 1280x800

also, they're smaller, lighter, some very nice design touches (magnetic clasp, set-in keyboard etc) and a helluva lot faster. it'll last for years.

Wow. Nice thread title. ;) ... (If you really only wanted my opinion, use PMs instead. If not, my name's not really needed in the thread title, though it sure got my attention.) :p

Since I've personally used 15" PowerBooks for a long time (the very first Titanium PowerBook G4/500 and later the AluBook 1.33 GHz) I know them quite well. You'll want the MacBook. Not because the PowerBook is bad or anything, but it would be buying into yesterday's technology. The MacBook is a sweet deal size-wise, I think, although personal preferences differ here widely.

Back