fsck instead of Disk First Aid

rharder

Do not read this sign.
Well I finally had a Kernel Panic, and it messed up a couple of things in the file system, but I couldn't repair anything using Apple's utility because it's the startup volume (the only volume) that's messed up.

No, it's not a matter of "unlocking" the panel. Anyone know a nice way to repair volumes in OS X?

In the meantime, what I did, and what others can do, is to reboot into single user mode by holding down Command-S on reboot. When the text stops scrolling, and you see a goofy prompt, run the "fsck" program repeatedly until no errors are reported. Then type "reboot" to reboot.

-Rob

You can boot from the X installer CD and then you can use the disk utility program from the menu.

ok disk utility tells me that there are problems but it cant repair them because its the startup disk. so i started up with the CD and it says everything is ok. i'm thinking thats because my system is 10.0.1 and the cd is only 10.0 . But how do i fix the problems then? i'm trying the thing posted by rharder but i'm not sure if i can get that to work.

I often have errors that mysteriously disappear upon reboot. Someone mentioned in another thread that OS X does some automatic repairs on startup. Perhaps your reboot into the CD's OS X 1) fixed the problem and 2) didn't introduce whatever problem our regular installation seems to introduce.

I hope this gets fixed because it's unacceptable to have to boot into something else just to fix problems that the OS itself introduces.

-Rob

I guess I'd be interested in finding out of 'fsck' is the ideal option, or if it's only one other way to go. In other words, is it optimal (i.e., going to increase the likeliness of getting over hd issues) or only an identical, non-graphical version of the other?

It's good to know it's there one way or the other, of course...

ok i have no idea the answer to your question but it does work and looks all cool (text wise). i'm easily amused! but it still never found any errors. but then again maybe they all fixed their self. who knows.

twister

Back