ftp in OS X (do newer version decode and encode)?

mac mini n00b

Registered
I have an old OS X bible book (version 10.1) and it states that OS X doesnt encode decode binary files. I was wondering if the new versions of OS X do this automatically now ?

as it will only display txt files fine but if you ftp a EXE or a JPG or something it will let you FTP it but when you try to run it or view it, it wont work. Something to do with MIME or something

mac mini n00b said:
as it will only display txt files fine but if you ftp a EXE or a JPG or something it will let you FTP it but when you try to run it or view it, it wont work. Something to do with MIME or something
What are you using for your FTP client? BTW, the Finder can mount FTP servers just as it does any other networked volume. Any Mac application can read files on a mounted FTP server without downloading them first.

mac mini n00b said:
I have an old OS X bible book (version 10.1) and it states that OS X doesnt encode decode binary files. I was wondering if the new versions of OS X do this automatically now ?

He probably means "will it bring over the resource fork?". If you use, for example, CrushFTP for the FTP server and CaptainFTP for the client, sending or receiving a Mac application will result in a broken app that is missing its resource fork.

Back