ftp-login so slow

Thies

Registered
It takes about 45 seconds to login on my G4 (OS X 10.0.3) via ftp from another workstation.
Once logged in, everything is fine.

Is ftp login always that slow at OS X?

Is there a way to speed it up?

Originally posted by Thies
It takes about 45 seconds to login on my G4 (OS X 10.0.3) via ftp from another workstation.
Once logged in, everything is fine.

Is ftp login always that slow at OS X?

Is there a way to speed it up?

If the delay is more like 60 seconds, then it is probably trying to do the reverse DNS lookup for your other machine, and timing out. One way of speeding that up is placing the IP machine-name association in the Netinfo equivalent of the /etc/hosts, or getting an access to a (fast) DNS server.

I don't know about you, but everytime I use ftp on the gui (eg BBEdit, transmit), it's really very slow, so I always use the ftp command in the terminal. no harm done.

Originally posted by ladavacm

If the delay is more like 60 seconds, then it is probably trying to do the reverse DNS lookup for your other machine, and timing out. One way of speeding that up is placing the IP machine-name association in the Netinfo equivalent of the /etc/hosts, or getting an access to a (fast) DNS server.

Some kind of timing out would explain the long delay. I played around a little bit with Netinfo but nothing improved. What parameter do I have to change? The login to OS X takes still too long. Could you tell me how to speed up the DNS lookup?
I dont't know too much about these things, but a DNS lookup is fast on my system (for example "ping www.macosx.com" returns a result at normal speed)

Thanks a lot for any help.

Back