FTP probblem

lumikko

Registered
I just wanted to allow FTP access to my computer. It was very easy but it doesn't work well. I could see my mac from my win98 PC using the ftp://x.x.x.x address and a user account, but it's on the same local network... from outside of my network no-one can see me.
Can someone help me with this. I need to share some bigger files and this would be a nice feature if I could use this right.

You need to know the WAN IP address of your network. Are you using DSL/Cable with a router to share your internet access with multiple people? You'll need to set it up so that when someone types in your WAN IP address port 21 is forwarded to your Mac's local IP address.

"Are you using DSL/Cable with a router to share your internet access with multiple people?"
Yes I'm using DSL with a router.

"You'll need to set it up so that when someone types in your WAN IP address port 21 is forwarded to your Mac's local IP address."
I don't know much about networking, so if it is possible, can you be more specific about setting up this?

The basic idea is that when someone outside of your network wants to access your Mac via FTP, they will type in the IP address of your router.
The router will detect the incoming data on port 21 and know that this kind of request needs to be forwarded to your Mac's internal IP address. This is called Port Forwarding. You just need to find out how to do it with your particular model of router.
Good luck!

Back