FTP service not authenticating

Aussie John

Registered
I know this is a vague question but here goes.
I try to connect to FTP service and am told my pasword/name is incorrect. I'm using server 10.3.8

FTP is turned on in the admin software. Annonymous is off
In Workgroup manager, one share point has a group assigned (a dedicated group called ftpaccess) and FTP is turned on. My admin account has been added to ftpaccess.

The share point privileges are:
Owner- root - read write
The group -ftpaccess-read write
everyone-read

I am typing "ftp://hostname" in the "conect to server". Incidently if I type "ftp://IP address" I get an error -50

After the "Connect to server" it takes a minute or so before the computer askes for the password and then another minute to tell me the password is incorrect.

First, where are you typing this? Terminal? A browser? A third-party FTP program?

Next, (this is assuming you are a beginner, so I apologize if I am misreading your question) when you say you are typing, 'ftp://hostname', are you actually entering 'hostname' or are you entering something different, such as 'localhost' or '127.0.0.1' or perhaps 'www.ausiejohnshostingprovider.com'. In documentation, you often see 'hostname' where you are supposed to enter in your own particular information. Same goes with 'IP address'.

If you are in a terminal window, if you enter 'ftp localhost', you should get a response from your Mac if FTP sharing is turned on, regardless of your account settings.

If this is not your problem, please clarify.

Thanks Andrew, i'm quite experienced with vanilla Mac OSX just not the Server flavour.

Im typing the ftp://… in the client computer in the "go to server" in Finder of panther.
And I am using the real "hostname" I just didnt want to include that here.

in terminal ftp hostname times out
in terminal ftp IP number says "connected to hostname"
then a few seconds later
"500 server FTP server shut down -- please try again later."

What do your logs say? Both client and server should have logs of the attempted transaction. Also, have you possibly disabled the authentication method your trying to use? Check Server Admin -> FTP -> Settings -> General. You should see the Authentication methods your allowing in there.

Also, do you have your FireWall enabled? Check those logs as well. You might be blocking FTP traffic on your server and not realize it! :)

Aussie John said:
firewall- I think that is it-I need to open a port?

Yup, take a look at Server Admin in the Firewall settings. Under settings, you can open up the FTP ports (20 - 21). There are a few areas you can look at in there to limit your FTP usage, if you like :)

Try creating a new user, giving it the appropriate group access, and then using that username and password to log into the FTP server. If that works, then you are being bitten by an old and little-known problem which happened when upgrading 10.2 Server (and possibly some early versions of 10.3 Server, I can't remember offhand) to a more recent version of 10.3 Server, where older logins didn't work properly. It has to do with how and where your password information is stored.

This may not be a problem any more, but I ran into it myself a while back, so it's worth a try.

Go3iverson said:
Yup, take a look at Server Admin in the Firewall settings. Under settings, you can open up the FTP ports (20 - 21). There are a few areas you can look at in there to limit your FTP usage, if you like :)

I havent been able to change the ports in the modem yet but since I am on a VPN is it relevant

Aussie John said:
I havent been able to change the ports in the modem yet but since I am on a VPN is it relevant

If you get the error 'incorrect password', this means that the entered password is incorrect. This in general means that the authentication failed and why is that: a) correct login with wrong password (i do not expect this the case), b) you logged into another system for which your combination is wrong, or c) you did not make a connection after all, and for some odd reason the error returned as incorrect password.

Because the login takes a long time, i expect that the system which checked your password is not your server. I suggest you try to ftp to the ip-nummer of your server (unless you have dns running properly). Check with ping the repsonse time for the number and the name (the name will be translated to an ip-nummer by ping = equal to server ip ?).

in terminal you can type frp 192.168.x.x user. I prefer not to use to much slashes, confuses me to often.

Iff you do not for example have not the proper rights, still the password should be oke (more likely to get a message like 'no rights to this ftp server ....'

Good luck, Kees

Go3iverson said:

I think this is the problem I'm having also.
Set for FTP. Need to open port numbers on my router.
Do I need to open the 20-21 ports on the firewall in server admin if I don't even have the firewall enabled in the computer & services tab.
I can connect from behind the router with my other computer running 10.4.1 but not from outside. No one else can connect either. I figure it's a port forwarding problem in the virtual server function of the router. Am I on the right track? Can anyone add some help?

Thanks.
RC

LOL - just tried that now I the message:

Possible PASV port theft, cannot open data connection.

What the ___ does that mean?
Guess I'm on the right path since that's more than I got before ...

Back