FTP won't connect

hinotoxin

Registered
I recently had a few problems with my computer, the biggest one being an invalid node structure. Well, I got it fixed, my friend ran Disk Warrior on the hard drive, and completely reinstalled the system.
All the problems I had before are solved.... except the problem of my FTP just not wanting to connect.

I can connect through the Terminal, but I don't know all the commands for things I need to do, such as downloading files or seeing a listing of all the files.

So far I have only tried Secure FTP and Rad FTP, but whenever I try connecting to my server (web78.opentransfer.com) it says it is trying to connect, but doesn't do anything for a LONG time, until I get sick of it and quit the program.

I'm on an iMac g4 with OS 10.4.5.

If you want an external application to access your ftp server, you could try
RBrowser (http://www.rbrowser.com/download.html) .
It has the nice option to 'directly' open a file edit it in your own application and when you save it, it will be uploaded immedeatly.
Maybe you'd like to use Finder's built-in ftp client:
Go to finder, click on 'Go' in the Menu bar, and then on Connect to server...
Enter: ftp://web78.opentransfer.com
and there you go. Maybe you want to use passive FTP, set that in the network preferences for the active connection:

Open System Preferences and click Network. Choose a location and configuration, then click the Proxies tab. Check the 'Use passiv ftp mode (PASV)' checkbox.

Make sure you set the ftp port on your ftp client if it asks for it. I think is is 20 or 21 (or both, can't remember).

Thank you, I will try RBrowser now.
I had tried the Finder before, but I forgot to put ftp:// in front of web78.opentransfer.com :X
I found a list of Terminal FTP commands too so I think I should be able to manage now. Thanks for your help!

Back