Fudging DNS Entries?

dcheck

Registered
I work with a fair number of sites that I have to connect to using ip addresses. The thing about remembering all those numbers, tho, is that I don't. Basically, what I'd like to do is set up a local DNS server (as the DNS server of last resort) and then have my computer query it for all DNS names ending in .local or something other unused top level domain name.

Is this a good idea or a bad idea? Is it easy or hard? How would I go about doing it?

I've addressed this provisionally by creating an "ssh bookmark" file (a series of aliases that I call from my .cshrc file) so I can type sshbm-[site] and it'll whisk me away, proper log-in and all. I felt pretty clever about that one until I had to load up stuff via ftp and web browsers. Basically, I want to be able to remember an arbitrary name rather than an arbitrary number.

Thanks,
Dan

PS I'm running Jaguar 10.2.1

You should be able to put the hostnames and what they point to into your /etc/hosts file. It will work in most circumstances, though I don't think IE uses /etc/hosts.

I now have a simmilar, although different issue.
Another board that I frequent has gone through a location change. the DNS changes have not yet propegated to my DNS server.

Is there any way to hedge a DNS entry so that I will be able to access the page?

I do know the IP but many links within the page need me to be able to resolve the hostname.

TIA! :D

Originally posted by rhino
I now have a simmilar, although different issue.
Another board that I frequent has gone through a location change. the DNS changes have not yet propegated to my DNS server.

Is there any way to hedge a DNS entry so that I will be able to access the page?

I do know the IP but many links within the page need me to be able to resolve the hostname.

TIA! :D

Wow... that's really wierd. Whoever registered using the name "Rhino" must have picked a simmilar password as I did... I accidentaly logged in using rhino instead of my correct username. Just as I do for every message board except here. I know that's not my account because I was ticked that it was already taken. Since they still have a junior member tag I seriouly doubt it's anybody who visits the page daily... if so I'm sorry!

That's downright freaky. I misspelled my username and my pass and got into someone elses account!!! :eek:

Back