fullname or username in connect to server?

theed

Registered
I suppose I'll know soon enough, but I found it a gross misstep for Apple to fill in the Full Name of the user in a connect to server dialog box when what computers almost always want is the username. It's why we have usernames after all.

Many of my users have been replacing their full names with their usernames to get the actual convenience of this feature. Messing up information so that the system does what you want is an indication of a messed up system. Just hoping they "fixed" that. Otherwise, I know what my first bug report will be.

From the GUI, does it make any differencec which name you use? Or from many areas of the CLI?

it makes all the difference in the world if you're connecting to a unix, linux, windows, NAS, or whatever server that expects a username, all lowercase, no spaces. When you connect to a server, the username is always acceptable, the full name is sometimes acceptable. Knowing that, which one would YOU send to the server?

And when I said my users were replacing their names with usernames, I was referring to their account, not just the connect to dialog. They have to replace the full name with username in the connect to dialog or they can't connect to the servers.

Back