Fully Loaded PB17" for $1,830

stizz

gorilla beta tester
My fiance just 'bought it now" on ebay,...so I'm really skeptical. Scam? I'm hesitant to send money, but everything looks really legit.

auction # 2742823553

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2742823553#ShippingPayment

Here's the link, which helps comment on it rather than the auction number. Were pictures, details given before the bid was made? Not that that helps as the data could be picked up from the Apple store and copied over.
Is there a contact? Contact the person and say you need some verification if it's on the qt. Ask them to go to a computer store near them (check to make sure it's a valid store) and have the computer checked out and verified to you.
If it's someone on the straight up needing money quick, they'd probably be willing to do so. If not, then you can be pretty sure you got swindled with a 17-inch PowerBook selling for half of what it goes for at the Apple store.
But 50% off would ring my alarms.
Dang, and here I thought there was a special going on with the new models about to ship.

Originally posted by Mac Write
SCAM no questions asked. 100% scam don't send money PERIOD

kinda what I was thinking, but what nags me is the sellers rating and all the other laptop auctions he's done plus all the great feedback. I'm going to contact ebay tomorrow.

Originally posted by Randman
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2742823553#ShippingPayment

Here's the link, which helps comment on it rather than the auction number. Were pictures, details given before the bid was made? Not that that helps as the data could be picked up from the Apple store and copied over.
Is there a contact? Contact the person and say you need some verification if it's on the qt. Ask them to go to a computer store near them (check to make sure it's a valid store) and have the computer checked out and verified to you.
If it's someone on the straight up needing money quick, they'd probably be willing to do so. If not, then you can be pretty sure you got swindled with a 17-inch PowerBook selling for half of what it goes for at the Apple store.
But 50% off would ring my alarms.
Dang, and here I thought there was a special going on with the new models about to ship.

It appears to be a liquidator (spelling?) of some sort. All the other auctions (ended) are/were for a variety of pc laptops and the like.
I'm curious tho, if he's verified by both ebay and paypal, don't I have some sort of fraud protection if it turns out to be a scam? There seems to be only this single 17' for sale, new in box, not a slew at bargain basement prices.

It looks like a scam but there is a lot of feedback concerning other shipped laptops, I expected it to be a stolen ID. Maybe they're all off the back of a lorry (that would be stolen), or if you're lucky, they could even be legal! Be wary.

i forgot my ebay id and password so can't have a look on the previous feedbacks he had. if they look similar and are superlative good - good - good, i'd be scared.

the page isn't made by someone who just bought a powerbook and decided he didn't like it. Selling a Powerbook for 50 % of price, as a never used would make me very careful.

Ask the guy where he is (state, city). Maybe someone happens to be in that city and could be able to have a look in location. I can't see the location. (maybe it will be in the older auctions).

Be careful.

Thanks for all the great responses guys. It turns out the auction was mislisted, t'was s'posed to be $2830. She bought it before he caught the error. Now we are trying to find out if he is still obligated to sell it at the originally listed price, I certaintly hope so because the PB is a gift for ME!! The seller will probably try to void the auction (I would if I were he) since it is a $1000 difference. How would one say "seller beware" in latin?

I happened to notice that auction yesterday + there were quite some other few (most of them were selling 2 powerbooks). I did contact one of the sellers who had an ebay rating of over 500 (selling a 17" powerbook + 23" cinema display for $2800) but never got a reply back.

The fishy part - which makes me think this is more of a scam is that these auctions are listed "This item may no longer be available" on the my ebay page....

Still waiting to get a good deal to switch....

Originally posted by stizz
Thanks for all the great responses guys. It turns out the auction was mislisted, t'was s'posed to be $2830. She bought it before he caught the error. Now we are trying to find out if he is still obligated to sell it at the originally listed price, I certaintly hope so because the PB is a gift for ME!! The seller will probably try to void the auction (I would if I were he) since it is a $1000 difference. How would one say "seller beware" in latin?

i wouldn't bet on him having to sell that. someone once sold a car for $100 on accident on ebay before, and the lawsuit went to court. it was a huge deal because you have to go to court either in the state where ebay resides (virginia, i believe) or the state where the seller resides. they eventually ruled on the side of 'intent' and told the buyer to let it be.

The seller offered us $100 for our troubles if we'd just let it be.

We let it be, let it be, let it be.

I so wanted that PB tho (sniff), mines kinda old and busted....

What's the deal with "Microsoft Windows NT 3.51 or later" though, anyway? Did you ask him about that? I didn't even know Macs ran Windows without an emulator.

Hey, you got $100 for the purchase of your next PB. So at least it wasn't a total scam, and if it was, you still benefitted from it.

Originally posted by arden
What's the deal with "Microsoft Windows NT 3.51 or later" though, anyway? Did you ask him about that? I didn't even know Macs ran Windows without an emulator.

looking at his feedback he obviously sells a lot of PC notebooks and probably uses the same HTML for many of them just changing the cells or removing them to fit his needs. it looks like he just missed editing out that cell.

Back