Function Keys

THMTRXMN

Registered
I have a g3 powerbook with OS 10.3 on it and I am having problems with expose, usually on the laptops, when you hit the f9 f10 f10 keys it causes the corisponding expose things to happen, but sence the other day the stopped doing that, and I now have to hit the function key to use them also i have to hit the fuction key to get 12 to eject a cd, and can not use f7 or f8 without doing the same thing, please help me, it is only one more key but damn it is annoying, if it helps the other day I hooked it to a big keyboard, and used that for a while
, also I mapped some of the functions to my mighty mouse, <-- not under the expose preference pane of corse though.

in system preferences, under keyboard and mouse, in the keyboard tab, swap the checkbox entitled something like "use my function keys for hardware/software functions"

it's one way or another. apple chose to do this to save them having to put tons of buttons on their clean designs.

Bull shit, it worked with both when I first installed, then after I plugged in a keyboard to it it stopped working, and I never had this problem on any of my other mac laptops, so you can't tell me that because thats crap

It sounds like OS X still thinks you're using that external keyboard. Try going to the Keyboard & Mouse preference pane and going through the "Change Keyboard Type" routine.

Thank you, finally some educated advice, umm one question though, I don't see Change Keyboard Type anywhere in the Keyboard & Mouse Prefs, you probably meant something else or I am just a little confused, lol, So What excactly do I do?

Don't get too aggressive when people try to help you.

As far as I know, there's only two settings. Either the function keys work as function keys per default, i.e. you'll have to also hit Fn in order to get to the brightness controls or the eject key &#8211;*or it's the other way 'round. A mixed mode should not be available.

THMTRXMN said:
Thank you, finally some educated advice, umm one question though, I don't see Change Keyboard Type anywhere in the Keyboard & Mouse Prefs, you probably meant something else or I am just a little confused, lol, So What excactly do I do?
Hmm. I guess it's not there in Panther. I also have a Keyboard Setup Assistant app, located at "/System/Library/CoreServices/KeyboardSetupAssistant.app". But for all I know that's only in Tiger, too.

Is there more than one native keyboard layout in the International preference pane?

It sounds like Ukelele might be able to help you somehow, but I've never used it myself, so I'm not sure exactly how.

Back