Functions keys F1-F3 are dead

pepejeria

Registered
I have an iMac with the extended new keyboard. The 3 first Fx buttons stopped working after a while. I don't know if they are damaged or if they are simply disabled. Can I verify this somehow? In the settings or something.

F1 and F2 were used to handle the screen brightness and F3 was for expose.

Using leopard?

Check the Keyboard and Mouse section of system preferences. There is an option to use the function keys for controlling hardware - you want that on. Also, check to make sure shortcuts are mapped.

Yes you can verify the buttons physically work using keyboard viewer...

Systems preferences >> International >> Input Menu

Make sure "keyboard viewer" is checked. If its not, check it. A small flag should appear next to your time/volume settings on your menu bar. Click it and click on "show keyboard viewer".

A small keyboard representation will show up, press your keys to make sure that OS registers your keys being hit. If they are registering, Eric's solution should work, probably mapping your shortcuts will fix it. If not, could be faulty keys?

The iMac overrides the default functionality for the function keys. This can be reverted though, but thats not what I want.

They Keyboard Viewer doesnt also really help me, since the working keys, F4 for example, dont get highlighted when pressed... Bummer.

Back