Funny article

bjurusik

Registered
This may amuse some:<BR>
http://www.canada.com/technology/story.html?id=C4573230-4B60-4F1D-9901-D1B26D4D2C6C<BR><BR>
I especially like the line, "In its latest numbers released in January for its fiscal first quarter of 2003, revenue fell from a year earlier and all of the company's major computer lines saw diminished numbers. PowerMac sales were down 20%, while iBook sales fell 8%." I'm sure other computer makers revenue sky rocketed in this time of economic depression. This guy is narrow minded and ignorant.

That guy must hate macs and is determined to do everything he can to convince the world that they suck. That is too bad.

Lets not get too carried away with our Apple colored glasses either. He does have some valid points. Third party support is often the pits. I found this out while trying to find an 802.11a cardbus card that would support the Pismo (clue, there aint none). And while 802.11a is a bit "nichey", PalmOS devices are not. One challange that Apple has is to make sure that "popular" items work and are supported by the Mac platform. Apple can't afford to "spin their own" with everything (ala Safari), so they really need to keep banging on those isv's and hardware manufs. to maintain a healthy supply of Apple supported goodies.

One excellent example of this is Microsoft Office. While I'd love to see Apple come out with a competitor (or at least a Word alternative), this could actually spell doom in the corp. space, as having a Mac version of Office that is supported by M$ is viewed as being key. Having apps that are file compatable is often not good enough. If M$ starts being Mac hostile, this could be real bad news.

I have spent the last few years toiling on an old PowerMac, a clunky ancient machine that was slow and unreliable. But newspapers are hesitant to buy new computers, so I continued to churn out stories on the unpredictable machine. I suppose at the time it was purchased, my beleaguered PowerMac was cutting edge, but in today's terms it was more powerful as a paperweight than a computer.

Oh yeah...hehe, this guy is a mICro$AfT (Microsoft) Drone. I wonder if Bill Gates wrote this article himself. LOL!! Oh well, his loss!

Bill Gates likes and envies the Macintosh. And he wouldn't write anything like that. ;)

Let's just forget about articles like that and move on. In comparison to any other computer manufacturer and Apple's market share, Apple is getting way too much positive press, anyway. I mean, it's not like the world is really waiting for a new iMac that looks just like the old one and has been upped 200 MHz in speed...

Then again, as a Mac fan and user myself, I'm glad that Apple gets good press. Let's just get over that article...

Originally posted by Stridder44
Oh yeah...hehe, this guy is a mICro$AfT (Microsoft) Drone. I wonder if Bill Gates wrote this article himself. LOL!! Oh well, his loss!

What makes you say that he is a M$ drone? Does the fact that he had problems with his eariler (older) Mac somehow make his opinion invalid. This type of attitude by the Apple masses concerns me. Can no one have a bad Mac experience? What parts of his article were blatantly false? He has/had a Mac, he wasen't bowled over, his reasons for not being bowled over seem to be legit, his opinion on Apple in the market place is a negative one, but one that is based on the facts as he sees it. Now one might be able to come up with a bunch of countering positive statements, fine. But unless you can discount the things that he stated, you shouldn't be discounting him.

to binaryDigit

1. Well, he writes:

"... and the only people still using its computers are masochists who apparently don't want access to much of the latest software."

What he wants to say is 'much of the latest Windows shareware' or something like that. Last time I checked, my software was quite up to date.

2. He writes:

"... third party manufacturers have stopped caring about Mac users."

Last time I checked, most digital cameras were supported out of the box. My Sony Clié is always in 'iSync' with my Mac and I've basically stopped using it, because my SonyEricsson T68i is also supported.

3. He writes:

"The last time Apple was in this state, it brought back co-founder Steve Jobs to fix its issues. He fostered the development of the iMac and secured a US$150-million investment from Microsoft."

Hey, hey, hey. Apple was _losing_ money back then. Every quarter. Apple was DYING back then. Currently, they're quite a successful company, and despite what that ... author is saying, other computer manufacturers HAVE had a bad time lately, too.

I repeat: Let's get over it. If he had posted his article on this board and forum, I'd have killed the thread and warned him as being a troll. I think his mailbox has been a bit low on mails lately, for he'll certainly get a LOT of hatemail now that he's written that 'article'.

OK, I won't push the issue (well beyond this post anyway :) but I still think that points 1 & 2 are valid. There is less software, well at least less choice in any particular software category. And Job's most brilliant move may have been the adoption of USB, Firewire, 802.11b, and bluetooth thereby eliminating many of the compatability concerns with hardware, but many do exist. I agree that statement 3 is overblown.

I just think that we should be careful about summarily dismissing individuals like this, esp when they might have valid points (even if other points they have are invalid). I don't want Mac people to become too much like Linux people and take a standoffish attitude towards anyone with a negative opinion of our platform (note that I personally run all three and them some). End of thread.

Hey, I agree with you on the not becoming a Linux-snobish type person. I can understand what you mean by that, and you did make a good point. The guy obviously didn't really seem to have a good time with his Mac. He didn't even really seem to want to. Thats what Im tryin to say. I don't think he gave much effort to even bothering with using the Mac. But hey, maybe Im wrong.

...troll?

This guy is trolling to the maximum... He isn't just sharing his Mac experiences, he is trolling instead!

The majority of stuff he throws around is "HIS" general situation of Apple as a company and for every problem he throws for Macs I can throw at least 100 for Wintels ;)

Just because he has the authority to write a pro-Wintel article that doesn't mean that he is correct on every BS thing he throws around! :mad:

This is my favorite part:
"The problem with lacklustre third party development has prompted Apple to create its own browser, which it calls Safari. Some industry watchers feel the development and release of Safari is an indication that Apple is being forced to become more actively involved in software development."

Obviously this guy never heard or even show Chimera, Mozilla, Opera, iCab, IE, Netscape, etc. for Mac! I guess M$ was/is in bad position as a company because they too developed their own browser :D

And this is extra funny too:
"First of all, my iBook didn't like the software I needed to run my Palm M515. Crashes and screen seizures were regular occurrences. And the iBook doesn't play well with a lot of things that are part of the Microsoft world"

I guess the Pentium4/3GHz and Athlon XP/3000+ of this world must be in bad position too because they too cannot run OS X, iApps, Final Cut, et al not even in emulation!!! And when you try to run them, the Wintels do not even boot or load anything on screen :D

I could go on and on but I think that the Mac users are wise enough to understand that this guy is trolling BIG time! Hey, who knows maybe his personal life is messed up and he sees a way out of his personal mess by messing with the Apple and Wintels things :rolleyes:

Funny comments, Hulk. :)

The comments on macnn turned into a debate about Bush and Canada near the end. I guess the death knell counter just scored another hit.

I think that makes 22 times (or more) that Apple has been declared dead since 1996. I can't remember which website the death knell counter is on. (Senile)

Originally posted by Gregita
Funny comments, Hulk. :)

The comments on macnn turned into a debate about Bush and Canada near the end. I guess the death knell counter just scored another hit.

I think that makes 22 times (or more) that Apple has been declared dead since 1996. I can't remember which website the death knell counter is on. (Senile)

...browse here:
http://www.macobserver.com/appledeathknell/

;)

Apple needs to misappropriate everything Bill Gates has ever said and make it into a Switch commercial.

That'd be shocking.

"I... Used... to love... my... own... software... and the... hardware... it is... installed on. ...Now... I'm... a.... fan... of the... work of... that... genius... Steve." - Bill Gates, mac user.

And use Premiere to patch together words from various press interviews to form a speech to the effect of the above.

Hell, he still DID say it.

Back