Fusion joins Bootcamp and Parallels as an option to run PC op sys

Why such an attitude tcsdoc?

First, it's not a beta any more.

Second, if all you need is Windows or Linux, go ahead, partition install it on the other partition, and then reboot every time you need to do something in your Linux.

But I can't be bothered to waste time shutting down my system to work with some files on another OS, to test how something works in another system and so on. Time is money. So whatever I'm not doing on OS X side for whichever reason, I do it in the system or appliance I need, without shutting down my computer, and still copying and pasting from the Mac side when I just need copy and paste or drag and drop.

Also, using virtual machines or appliances instead of installing the whole system in the 'real' way you usually end up saving a lot of pain of just not needing to hunt for the drivers for your multiple display support or wireless cards.

So keep on rebooting every time you want to test or do something in another OS... everyone enjoys their way I guess.

For those wondering what that link has to do with Fusion, the article in question isn't on the main page anymore. It is here: http://ptech.allthingsd.com/20070802/fusion-is-latest-way-for-macs-to-operate-windows-pc-software/

I think tcsdoc was referring to the article now on the main page, about Zonbu: http://ptech.allthingsd.com/20070809/a-99-desktop-comes-with-software-backup-and-too-many-catches/ . That's not at all Mac-related.

Fusion is the same price as Parallels, and offers mostly the same functionality. Are there any comprehensive comparisons out there?

All I can (and MUST) say here is this: Parallels' Windows apps now have _shadows_ in coherence mode in the newest beta... Yes, shadows! Now they really start to look like they're running natively on your Mac. Creepy. Wonderful. Great.

But but ... why pay for any of those when VirtualBox does most things for free? No shadows though :(

This is the first time I've ever heard of VirtualBox. Sounds good, but a quick look at their web site shows that some "extra" features, including shared folders and USB support, are not available in the free version. I scoured the web site and didn't find a clue as to the price of the non-free version. :confused: Did I miss something?

You're looking at the Open Source Edition. You can use the closed-source edition for free if it's for personal use and that supports all the features of the commercial enterprise edition.

http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Editions said:
The full VirtualBox package is available in binary (executable) form free of charge from the Downloads page. This version is free for personal use and evaluation under the terms of the VirtualBox Personal Use and Evaluation License.

I was not able to see if Virtual Box can use the BootCamp partition

The only thing I didn't like about VMWare Fusion Beta was that it left about 3-4 processes running in the background when you quit it. There's no reason to do that except programming laziness. Does anyone know if that's still how it is with the final version? It's too much of a hassle to install Windows in it(if there's a trial or something) to see for myself.

There are (sometimes) some vmnet pids running after - I thought they were for leaving vmnet as network adapters.. as they are 0 % they don't bother me. Zombies do bother me but as I have not seen it leave ever any zombies no problems here.

Yeah that's one of the processes, the vmnet one. I think there were more than just that one though. I don't like it because even though it doesn't use much RAM it still uses some when it doesn't even need to be running in the first place. They should have them all started by the application when it starts and quit when the application quits.

Update for ya Cap'n :

So 1.0 full release, build 53148. I had some VMs running, and quit them. Fusion is still running, and I did not quit that between.

Top does not show any vmnet processes run. Only one related process, vmware, and that is for Fusion itself. Full screen, unity, single window back and forth, when the vm itself is active and running, there is vmware-vmx process, when it's run in Unity, there is also -doc process, but when switched away from Unity that quits, and when the vm is suspended (or shut down) vmware-vmx precesses quit. And when Fusion quits, then even the last process quits.

I guess I didn't just notice it earlier as I kept home the previous build until recently.

Back