Future Mac's

joeth

The Mac Duck
Cast your self to - say 2005. What Mac's will be around then? G7 Processors??? PowerBooks that roll up??? A cinema screen mac - all in one?? OS X 10.3? Computers that fold up???? An even smaller iPod - with two halves that clip together - one with the buttons and the other with the LCD????

Anyone have some other ideas, or PICTURES (even better)?

Seeing as we probably won't get G5 chips in volume production until MWSF '03 at the earliest and seeing as the G4 has been around for almost 3 years, I'd guess we'll either be running the G5, an IBM POWER chip, or an AMD chip. Regarding Mac OS X, at this rate we'll probably be at the seventh or eighth major revision.

The rest of your ideas are, to be honest, about spot on for an issue of Popular Science magazine. :p

I'm a realist. So sue me.

copy of MacUser (current one)!

Has a big article about this very subject, with pictures! (Rendered by J Ives wannabes). That ol' G5 encasing design that cropped up years ago is in there (the pastel orange and green G4 varient casing)

optimists are naive
realists are pessimists
romantics are objective

The naive are optimistic
Pessimist's are realists
The objective are romanticists

...sounds more positive:D

Originally posted by joeth
Cast your self to - say 2005. What Mac's will be around then? G7 Processors??? PowerBooks that roll up??? A cinema screen mac - all in one?? OS X 10.3? Computers that fold up???? An even smaller iPod - with two halves that clip together - one with the buttons and the other with the LCD????

Anyone have some other ideas, or PICTURES (even better)?

cool ideas, but i would venture to guess that apple would be more revolutionary than to just upgrade for years on end.. hopefully a new technology for processors, like extremely short pipelines or a phone/pda/mp3 player all in one 80 GB HD with a script to text recognition and OS X.5??? but who knows, im jus naive :)

I did read MacUser, but the article was short and quite rubbish, thats why I thought I'd cover it in more detail here!

I have a couple pix in this article: Wired.com I did the Tower and the PDA. The LCD with the tower looks so clunky in hindsight.

Don't be too harsh I did them more than 3 years ago (just after the B&W G3 came out.) :)

Out of curiosity is my tower in the MacUser article? The orange and green G4s were done by a friend of mine and I guarantee they didn't get his permission.

i dont think our macs will be on PowerPCs then....

not necessarily intels or AMDs either though... who knows 5-7 years is far away in terms of technology. our crap here will seem ancient... remember the macs of 5 years ago...

beige 233 mhz with expensive drives and peripherals, little or no compatibility with the Windoze world, and using all kinds of proprietary ports and junk. OUCH!

and i loved my mac even then. :)

Yes it is in MacUser....... Very GOOD!

Look at the picture of iPod 2 - way cool!

Attachments

• rit_j_kim_mp3_f.jpg
    rit_j_kim_mp3_f.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 82
..... and take a look at this..... what do you think?

Joe

P.S How do you add pictures to posts without attaching them?

Attachments

• rit_ienna_lap.800_f.jpg
    rit_ienna_lap.800_f.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 95
Now this is really different......

For the rest of these cool pictures go to.... although I will upload them all....

This Site

Attachments

• rit_sm_imac2000_f.jpg
    rit_sm_imac2000_f.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 77
Originally posted by dlookus
I guess I'll have to go out and get a copy.:)
There are a bunch of concepts on my old professors website: Here

I'll upload some of these then (that catch my eye).....
But some of the ones on this site are on the site that I got the previously uploaded pictures from.

Now just look at this..... weird computer design...

P.S If you have Photoshop can someone nip to apple.com, grab a display, and get rid of the apple, type iMac and upload it.... you see what I mean, an all in one iMac in a Cinema display.....

Attachments

• mary_rose_monokowski_d.jpg
    mary_rose_monokowski_d.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 54
Yeah that one is a really cool idea. Much more recent than my stuff.

The only times I've been able to put pictures right in the message is by adding the link in Enhanced mode, but I've found if the thread gets moved it becomes a link again.

Probably old to you guys, but I like this one.

newg4tower.jpg

I like that image, but I think Apple has really gone out of their way to keep the machines from just being a box.

Originally posted by dlookus
I guess I'll have to go out and get a copy.:)
There are a bunch of concepts on my old professors website: Here

I think that Powermac was also in an old MacAddict Magazine.

Back