Future PowerPC beyond 3.2 ghz?

I noticed that PS3 is using Cell Processor more powerful than XBOX 360.. That is interesting going on with IBM and Apple. I am hoping that Apple will use Power5 for G5. Or quad core of of Cell for G5? Will be G6?

They won't release anything as insane as a Cell processor under the name G5.

And they will NOT upgrade to G6 until G5s have been in at least the PowerBooks for a requisite length of time. You can't have two generations between the PowerMac and PowerBook.

I don't think Apple would deliberately hold back any progress on the desktop while their engineers try to iron out the difficulties putting a G5 in a PowerBook. We may never see a G5 in a PowerBook and may take the next generation G6 before the CPU architeture is able to be put in a portable. I believe the G5 was ever designed for portables and it may be that trying to come up with an elaborate design to try and get one in a portable may be R&D time and money wasted.

BBC News said:
Those hoping for a close-up look at Nintendo's new console were left wanting.

President Iwata Satoru showed off a prototype of the Revolution, which will be significantly smaller than its rivals.

Nintendo aims to make it the size of several stacked DVD cases and the colour has yet to be decided.

The Revolution will play DVDs, have built-in wi-fi, an SD memory card slot, and 512Mb of flash memory.

But Mr Iwata was coy about providing detailed information about the technology powering the console.

Instead he said Nintendo was working with computer giant IBM and graphics firm ATI to ensure graphics that would make gamers "say wow".

IBM. again. looks like the PPC is in all 3 consoles now. IIRC a PPC G4 powered the gamecube

IBM are going to filthy rich, if they can keep up with demand.... and we all know how well they did that when the first G5s were rolling out (or not)...

Lycander said:
If anyone has given DX programming an honest chance, ask yourself "wouldn't it be great to have something *like* that for OSX?"

Well, OS X hasn't had it, but OS 9 did: GameSprockets. It was pretty spiffy with the exception that Apple didn't want to keep it around past OS 9.. so it died a horrible death, even though game developers on the Mac were using it.

If Apple were to revive a similar project, you can bet that OpenGL would serve as the 2D/3D renderer in that project, and maybe a 2D-oriented wrapper around it, but the API would remain.

Back