Future PowerPC Macs 'til June 2006/June 2007

fryke

Staff member
Mod
Steve's said it: There are quite a few PowerPC based products still in the pipeline. With the first Mac going intel in June 2006 and the last in June 2007, we'll probably see _all_ Mac lines updated with PowerPC at least once.

The iBooks are next, as has been discussed a few times. They'll probably use ~1.4/1.5 GHz 7447A processors.

The PowerBooks (just updated) might get the new 7448 part, ready in October according to FreeScale, which will allow processor speeds in the 1.7-2.0 GHz numbers (if Apple keeps clocking the chips higher than FreeScale says) with lower power consumption.

The eMac _could_ go G5, but in order to keep it cheap, it might also make use of the 7447A or 7448 processor.

The Mac mini could also get a 7447A or 7448 processor.

The iMac G5, just updated, can probably only clock higher if IBM releases the PPC 970GX (single core variant of the 970MP), because the FX part gets too hot at higher rates than 2 GHz for such a small case.

The PowerMac sure depends on IBM, too. Dual 970GX? Single 970MP? Or dual 970MP? I think a machine with two dual-core 3 GHz processors would certainly make a <i>good</i> last PowerMac. But just to tease Apple, IBM might clock the chips at 2.9 GHz. ;)

As for the Xserve: I guess they too are waiting for cooler high-clocked chips.

What are our thoughts on those machines? Would we buy them? I think a 2 GHz PowerBook could get me interested. I'm also still interested in a Mac mini, but I guess Apple won't put too much energy into that: It's going to stay the "cheap Mac", and thus won't make _big_ steps processor-wise, until it turns into an intel Mac.

Being that my 1.67Ghz Powerbook performs rather miserably, I'd say the 2.0Ghz models aren't likely to be anything very impressive either (we're only talking about another 300 Mhz or so). Sadly, without a G5 Powerbook, I'm afraid it will be the product's demise until they start throwing high powered dual core Intel chips at it. This is good news for me, as I have another 18 months before a not-so-buggy Intelbook puts mine to bed, at which point I'll probably buy a thinkpad. Bad news for everyone all around as it means the Powerbook line is going to suck, and suck bad, for the next 18 months.

Hm... I'm sure the 1.67 GHz owners won't (and probably shouldn't) be the primary target for such 2 GHz machines. But compared to my 'lousy' (I love it!) 1.33 GHz machine, the step would certainly be noticeable. Even more so for TiBook owners (up to 1 GHz), of course. So, I don't think that your perspective (having the newest PB already) is true for most PB users and would-be PB users.

fryke said:
Hm... I'm sure the 1.67 GHz owners won't (and probably shouldn't) be the primary target for such 2 GHz machines. But compared to my 'lousy' (I love it!) 1.33 GHz machine, the step would certainly be noticeable. Even more so for TiBook owners (up to 1 GHz), of course. So, I don't think that your perspective (having the newest PB already) is true for most PB users and would-be PB users.

2 Ghz Powerbook G4, i'll take it get a second one, lol. I think the PB's might top out at 1.8Ghz. Beside's next Mac I buy is going to be a Desktop. Don't know when, but i want a Mac Desktop, throw Windoze out the window for good. :D

jzdziarski said:
Being that my 1.67Ghz Powerbook performs rather miserably, I'd say the 2.0Ghz models aren't likely to be anything very impressive either (we're only talking about another 300 Mhz or so).

Remember when a speed increase of 50 to 100Mhz was the next great thing (ie. PPC 601, 603, 604, 604e)? I miss those days... Greater Mhz increases are getting so much more demanding (and expected) these days.

i just got a 466/g4 and am quite happy with it. it runs os x nativly! but i will upgrade the cpu soon. it replaced my 8600 witch replaced a 7500 witch replaced a quadra 800 which replaced a mac+. can you tell, i am a dirt poor fan of apples, always stuck with old hardware because i can't afford new. i can't wait to see happens with the intel switch. i hope it brings the price down quite a bit so that i can get a new one. and if they will even run win xp well, i know a lot of people that will buy one. i, as my friends, are gamers, and own a winpc for that reason, but many of them have said that if macs ran their games, they would buy apple. but half life 2 is our game, and valve has no intention of porting to the mac. so with a dual boot, we play our games on win xp, then boot into os x for every thing else. there are many that say that is herisay, but i am an open minded apple lover, and love the mac what ever the hardware. in my opinion, there are too many good reasons to make the switch now, and not later, or not at all.

Back