G3 and OS 9 Install Problem.

daneelshof

Registered
Hey Everyone!

I have a G3 All-in-one and am trying to install Mac OS 9.1 on a brand new hard drive. The CD appears to start well but when it tries to load the Finder during the first part of the installation it gives a weird error box. "The Finder could not start up because there was not enough memory." I've tried the standard things: zapping the PRAM, checking the seating of the memory, and even a different hard drive just in case. It is really quite frustrating! My eventual goal is to use XPostFacto to run Panther on this machine, but OS 9 won't install.

G3 266mHz
768 MB RAM
40 GB Western Digital HD

Hi; Have you checked to see if the correct memory is installed. It should be pc66,3.3volt,sdram.If it is ok then I would check to see if you have a bad memory slot or ram stick by trying one slot at a time while you try to install.

Good luck;arrowone

I'll try that. I used the RAM under OS 8.6 fine, it recognized it all, but now I don't even have the hard drive with OS 8.6 on it to start the installer that way. I'll give it a shot.

OK, So it seems like one of the sticks of RAM was bad. But now it doesn't even get past the 'Welcome to Mac OS' screen. It shows a bomb and 'Sorry, a system error occured. error type 102 To temporarily turn off extensions, restart and hold down the shift key.' It also takes a long time to even reach this crashing point, like 10-15 mins. This computer is making me sad. I really wanted to run at least OS 9. :(

Back