G3 Can't Access Certain Websites

snaithbert

Registered
Hey folks, a friend of mine just got a used G3 (OS 10) and she's having some trouble accessing certain websites. The problem is with sites that require you to log in, like Hotmail and Netflix, etc. I surmised that somehow the firewire or some other security settings were set too high on the machine and that's blocking access to these sites. I had a similar problem with my PC and lowering my firewall protection solved it. But sadly I know absolutely very little about macs (though that's gonna change, because I'm about to get one) so I'm not sure how to change her settings, if indeed that's even the problem. The machine can access many, many other sites just fine, but when a username and password is required, it just can't cut it.

Anyone have any thoughts on how to combat this? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I assure you.

Which version of Mac OS X (10.1, 10.2, 10.3, 10.4)? Which browser and which version?

Okay, looks like she's running OS 10.3.

And she running Internet Explorer version 5.2.

Again, any help you can provide would be really appreciated.

She's kinda freaking out because she just bought a (albeit used) computer that she can't even access her email with.

Hopefully it's just a quick fix.

Anyhow, thanks for responding, I'm much obliged.

Cheers,

Snaithbert

I would stay away from Internet Explorer. It hasn't been updated in years. The only good thing it's for is when you have to access a site that STRICTLY requires IE, although this can usually be circumvented by a user agent on other web browsers that trick the site to think IE is accessing it.

Which browsers have this ability, you ask? Anything OTHER than IE. Plus, they also have other features and are more up to date than IE.

1. Apple's own Safari browser. (included with the OS)
2. Mozilla's Firefox and Camino browsers, as well as their original Mozilla Suite. (http://www.mozilla.org)
3. Opera (http://www.opera.com)

There are others, but those are a few of the major ones that are quite good. Camino is a Mozilla-based browser that thinks it's Safari. :D Firefox is basically the same thing you see in other operating systems, so if you're used to that you can download that one. The Mozilla Suite not only brings a browser, but also an e-mail client, a simple graphic HTML editor, an IRC chat client, and other features. Opera is another browser that pioneered the use of tabs in browsing, which is now popular in all browsers other than IE 6.

You also want to make sure that you have Macromedia's Flash and Shockwave installed also. Macromedia has Mac OS X versions of these. Java is already included with Mac OS X and updated for that can be received through Software Update.

Okay cool, I'll get her Safari or Mozilla tonight and I'll get her Flash and Shockwave, etc.

But do you think it's those programs (or lack thereof) that could be keeping her from accessing certain sites?

I was thinking it must be a security thing, like the firewall settings, etc.

Like her machine is just set with really high security that it's blocking her from certain sites.

Any chance this could be the case, or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Back