G3 Keyboard and Mouse stop responding after patching OS X.2

jaguar

Registered
Hello,
I have an original beige G3 266 mhz tower with a third party usb carb (io gear) installed. I have used the third party usb card with both os 9 and os X.1. I recently upgraded to OS X.2 and all worked fine. That is until I installed the "mega" OS X.2 patch that brought me up to OS X.2.8.
Initially what I saw was that my monitor would go blank and I could not "wake up" the system. I initially thought it was a problem with the energy saver application so I set my system to never go to sleep and never shutdown the monitor. This helped some, but periodically it will still get to a point where the keyboard and mouse stop responding, or in some instances the monitor will flick off (as if it has gone to sleep). My only recourse is to restart the system. (On an aside I left the system on while we were away for the holiday break and was able to access it and applications running on it remotely. So it appears that even though I lose access to the system directly, the system itself continues to work fine.)
Any ideas?? I'm currently trying to hunt down one an older keyboard and mouse but my preference would be to continue using my usb keyboard and mouse.
tia,
-jag

Back