g3 or g4

ERICBRIAN2002

Registered
I am going to get a new mac soon so i wanted to know which would b better. A 500mhz g3 or a 400mhz G4? I will be running macosx and basic prog like aim and stuff.So anything u have on these 2 systems are great. Thanks in advance.

I would go 400 MHz G4. I think AltiVec is a big deal, and you can't perform some tasks without a G4, like burning DVDs.

As you can tell from my signature, I have a 400 MHz G3 and a 450 MHz G4, and the G4 feels faster than the G3, and it feels like more than just the 50 MHz.

g4 if you are planning on doing any multimedia. music, photos, movies, editing, etc.

g3 is a text editor/web browser proc only. IMHO.

it also depends on the 'other' architecture of the hardware. there never was a 500 MHz G3, officially - unless you mean a Pismo PowerBook , an iMac or an iBook. There's also no new 400 MHz G4s. Are you using an older Mac with an upgrade card? If so, the G3/500 might be the better deal, as you won't squeeze much out of an old bus system, anyway.

Go G4, here's why.

Integer operations: The G3 is capable of executing three integer operations per clock cycle. The G4 is capable of 4 integer operations per clock cycle. Most of your general computing tasks are integer operations.

Floating Point operations: The G3 is capable of executing one fp operation per clock cycle. The G4 is capable of executing 4 32bit fp operations or 2 64 bit fp operations per clock. Most multi-media software uses floating point data types. These are the software packages that really tax your CPU.

Anyway, get the G4. It will have a longer future. I even get the vibe that Apple is going to drop the G3 from their product line.

Vanguard

Get the G4... they come with cool boxes... and oh yeah, they are faster. I have a 400mhz G4 tower at home... it is still running great. It has not started to show signs of age, yet. But I might notice the age when I get Pshop, Livemotion and illustrator in OS X.

Back