G3 with 9.2.2 refuses OS X upgrade - pls help!!

usernameuser

Registered
I've been trying to install OS X (Tiger) onto blue and white G3. It meets all minimum requirements, but will not get past the RESTART prompt at end of DVD > to > hard disk install. No error messages, disk utilities check out fine, but system just restarts CD installation after system reboot. If I take out DVD manually after it finishes, system starts up in 9.2.2.

DVD unit is new, Pioneer, DVR-109 with jumper on cable select (it doesn't seem to matter so far what jumper settings I try)

Original HD was too small for OS X, so 14 GB IBM unit was installed on same IDE as new DVD.

Any ideas are welcome! thx

D

You do not specify whether the 14 GB IBM drive is configured as a 'master', 'slave' or 'cable select'. Regardless, set the 14 GB IBM drive as the 'slave' and set the 'DVR-109' as the 'master'.

Try again with the 'Tiger' installation DVD disc, and post your results.

I am having a similar problem, Im running OS 9.2.2 and im trying to install tiger by CD due to a lack of an DVD drive. I have plenty of space on my HD (graphite Imac, 40gb HD) but every time i put in the first cd and click install, then it promps my in restart the computer freezes... any helpers?

One thing you might want to check is your Filesystem. When I installed Tiger on my iBook, it had to have Mac OS Extended (Journaled), I don't know why, but it wouldn't install unless it I had is as that. You might want to check that one out.

slooksterpsv said:
One thing you might want to check is your Filesystem. When I installed Tiger on my iBook, it had to have Mac OS Extended (Journaled), I don't know why, but it wouldn't install unless it I had is as that. You might want to check that one out.

i am really new to mac, what does "journaled" mean?

Back