g4 10.4.6 wont boot

racer99

Registered
Is anyone else having issues with 10.4.6? I took an update and a few days later I came back to find my system hung on the gray apple startup screen with the little wheel going round and round. I get the startup sound and then it just sits and spins.

Most of the threads I have read start with boot from CD, well I just have a CDR file given to me by the guy who built it for me. Luckly I copied it to my PC file share but does anyone know how to make it bootable? I tried to make a dvd to boot from but the system doesnt boot from it so I must assume just burning it to a dvd is not right.

Thanks!

Now I know that with 10.4.6, there were two restarts during the installation process. The second one took place some minutes right after the first reboot, which seemed odd to me but is apparently part of the update process. Did you let it continue the update or did you at any point stop the update thinking something might have gone wrong?

Also, make sure that you have the appropriate firmware updates for your Mac.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86117

Its actually been running 10.4.x for some time. I honestly dont remember about the reboot, but I would remember interfering which I am sure I didnt. it was more like take the update, use it for a few days, come back to the gray screen a few days later. I did check and I have the G4 PCI no updates required.

Hmm...weird...have you tried manually downloading the Combo Updater for 10.4.6 and reinstalling the update?

Also, have you tried unplugging other peripherals other than the keyboard and mouse to see if the problem persists?

Happened to my G4 at home, mine hung on a blue screen, and i let it stand for a hour or two before I gave up. Had to reinstall the system and i slowly started losing hard drives/partitions one by one. Luckily I backup my data, just the pain of reinstalling.

OK new info, I booted in single user mode and FSCK'd the disk then ran sh /etc/rc to start the system and I get a repeating memberd[58]dsFindDirNodes returned - 14071 "cant find root user"

this appears to be the cause of my hanging, I checked /etc/passwd and there is a root account?

Back